Problem w/MP3 playback --Toshiba 4700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I burned about 100 MP3's to a 650MB CD for my Toshiba 4700 DVD player and when I play them, they sound like crap. There is no bass or anything. They sound great on my computer(I have a Boston Acoustics system w/subwoofer) but when I play them in my DVD player they sound terrible. Does anyone know why? Is there something special I have to do when I burn them to a CD? I used Nero to burn the CD if this helps. Thanks for replies

Sorry, just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize!

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

What encoder did you use?

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I don't know, I don't really know anything about encoding, I just burned them directly to the CD.

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

If you're burning MP3s that you're downloading off the Internet, then there's not much you can do about the poor quality. Most people who post files for downloading encode the files at low bitrates to minimize file sizes. There are also folks who encode using high bitrates, but encode them with filters to discard the high and low frequencies, again to minimize file sizes. This severely affects the sound quality of the MP3. If you want good quality MP3s, you have to rip the CD yourself. Check out this site www.r3mix.net for more info.

5. ozric_smith

ozric_smith Agent

This is kinda off topic but... I ripped a CD with lame --r3mix. And when I play it on my DVD my DS595 says Digital PCM. I swear it sounds better then the master CD.

6. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Yes, but... the description of the problem said that they sounded OK on the computer.

So, another theory is that they are not in a standard-enough MP3 format, or not what the Toshiba wants, anyway.

The question is: Are the files on the CD from the same source, or are they a mishmash of lots of different MP3s. If the latter, then if they ALL sound bad, it isn't the encoding.

Another question: Has the player EVER played an MP3 satisfactorily? If not, it is perhaps defective.

A test would be to code a fresh MP3 CD from a CD you ripped yourself. Ideally, a friend with a MP3-playing DVD player could test it for you.

7. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Well, I just downloaded Exact Audio Copy and ripped songs from a real audio CD I have and then encoded them into MP3's with Lame and burned them to a CD and they still sound like crap. I guess the Toshiba just sucks at playing MP3's. I don't have any other ideas...

8. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Which version of LAME did you get? The latest is 3.91 from here http://home.pi.be/~mk442837/. What LAME settings did you use? I suspect you were using the recommended "--r3mix" switch. That setting is actually not that good and results in files that are still distinguishable from the original. Try using this switch "--alt-preset insane". This encodes at CBR 320kbps with no filtering. This should give you a file of the absolute highest quality, absolutely indistinguishable from the original. But the file sizes are going to be somewhat large. If that setting works for you, then try the next best setting "--alt-preset extreme". This encodes using VBR averaging 256kbps. This will give you files that are virtually indistinguishable and files sizes that are reasonable - about 1/2 the CBR 320 file sizes. If it still sounds crappy (especially after using the insane switch), then you have a bad decoder.

9. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I"m using 3.91 and I'm in the Compression Options menu of Exact Audio Copy. On the external compression tab, for parameter passing scheme I'm using LAME MP3 encoder, and for the additional command line options what needs to be there?

Thanks

Paul

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

OK, just encoded it with the --insane switch. MP3 file ended up being about 10MB, burned it, played it in DVD player and yet again it sounds like crap. I'm officially pissed now. One of the reasons I bought the Toshiba was because of DVD playback. This is really disappointing. Thanks for all you help.

Paul

11. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

Paul:

What receiver are you using? I currently have a Tosh 3750 with a Denon 3802 using an optical connection. The mp3s that I burn off the net sound fine (for the most part). I think if I play them using DPLII it sounds all garbled so I switched to just 5 channel and it sounds pretty good. I'm pretty sure all the mp3s that I burned are 128 Kbps so that's why I say they sound pretty good instead of having 320 Kbps.

Not to bash, but are your computer speakers better than your HT speakers?

I don't think its the DVD player per se but maybe your receiver DSP mode. Give it a try and see if that helps

12. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

In my experience, MP3's just sound like s#it when played on big speakers. Maybe its the fact thay theyre compressed 12X.

My friend bought this thing called The Neo earlier last year. Its a portable HD that can goto your car and home theater (and computer). It was like 40GB's. It sounded fine on the computer, but when he put that thing up to his receiver and Polk speakers, it was horrible.

Ive never had a good experience with MP3's on a big scale. Good luck though.

13. ozric_smith

ozric_smith Agent

I retract my former statement about --r3mix in lame. I listened to the CD and I CAN tell the difference. I then

reencoded with --alt-preset fast standard. I could still tell.

then I encoded with --alt-preset extream. I could just tell on some parts of some songs. That is the the trade off. I have a feeling that the insane setting I could still tell on some songs. The bottom like is mp3 is lossy compression end of story.

14. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I'm using a Kenwood 208 receiver w/ DD and 50W X 5 with Paradigm Mini Monitors as my main speakers and Sony WM40 for sub, so I don't think my speakers would be the problem. I'm using the optical connection from my DVD player to my receiver. I really do not know what the problem is. It doesn't seem very hard to me to put quality MP3 playback into a DVD player.

If some company had a good DVD player with great MP3 playback and a wonderful menu (like Winamp) I would sell my TOshiba in an instant.

15. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Paul, try using regular stereo RCA cables (instead of the optical) from your DVD player to receiver and play a few MP3 files in stereo mode. You may have to go into your DVD player's set-up menu and make an adjustment to the audio out, I dunno. My MP3 changer will only play properly this way.

Try that and let us know.

16. ozric_smith

ozric_smith Agent

Paul, I have a Samsung DVD-N501, after the firmware update it plays MP3's fine(menu too) and VLM - I can tell the diff but that's just the lossy compression in the .mp3 file format. It has a NUON MPE in it and can play games as well. The NUON as a game system might be a dead duck, but its a fine DVD/CD/MP3 system for the money. Look it up and see.

17. Dan Hotch

Dan Hotch Agent

Paul,

For what it is worth I think it is the Toshiba. I have a Tosh 3750 and it does not play MP3s very well at all. It is not the system as I have hooked the stereo out of my sound card to the stereo inputs of my receiver (Onkyo 494) and the songs sound great that way.

It would be nice to hear if anyone was able to get their Toshiba DVD player to play MP3s adiquately.

18. Dan Steffen

Dan Steffen Stunt Coordinator

Dan:

My Tosh 3750 seems to play mp3s OK. Maybe I'm not an audio-guru like you guys but to me it sounds pretty good. There are certain limitations that you have to expect with mp3s like the compression.

I have only tried listenening to one CD-RW that I burned with various songs. Most sound pretty good to me. I have noticed that when I set it up to play random songs, it gets caught at the end of some songs and doesn't continue.

19. Dan Hotch

Dan Hotch Agent

Dan S.

Do you hear pops and clicks when you play the MP3s from the CD-RW on your system? That is what I hear from my 3750.

Most the time people that say an MP3 sounds "horrible" when what they really mean is "that it does not sound as good as my DVD-A or SACD copy." Don't get me wrong MP3s are not as good a quality as DVD-A, SACD or even regular CD, but they should sound as least as good as any FM station. Right now the output that I am getting from my Tosh is not even close to an FM station.

Also, I just don't believe that MP3s will sound worse on a high end system than they do on a regular computer audio system.

20. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

No, there is no pops and clicks, the music just has a severe lack of bass and hardly any clarity. [​IMG]