What's new

Problem playing WMV files on home PC. (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Okay... I've got an HP 400 MHz Celeron with 256MB memory running Windows 98.

Last night I was perusing ebaumsworld and I noticed when playing WMV files.. the first few seconds would play and then the picture and audio would become choppy and then eventually freeze (DSL connection, BTW).

"Must be the connection, I'll download the file", I thought. But even when playing the file directly from my HDD, I still have the same problem.

It looks like some sort of buffer is not filling up fast enough. I can play MPG files just fine.

I'm playing these files outside my IE6. And I have the latest media player.

Any ideas what my problem is? I've checked all the settings I can think of.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm not even sure a Celeron 400Mhz machine can even play WMV - aren't the minimum specs a 2 GHz processor?

Oh wait - you don't mean WMV-HD do you?

You may have a decoder configuration problem. Probably some player you installed before has taken over the default microsoft ones and messed something up. These problems are very hard to diagnose and fix however.

A 3rd party player, like ZoomPlayer, might help you in that department as it allows you to pick and choose what decoders you want to play a certain media file.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.. thanks.. I do have an ATI player that came with my capture card... I'll check it out.

UPDATE: Hmmm how about that.. the files play fine in my ATI File Player! Hmmm...

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks