Problem playing some DVD-A discs

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChrisPATT, Jul 3, 2003.

1. ChrisPATT

ChrisPATT Stunt Coordinator

I have a Toshiba SD-5700. Problem is on some of the disc I own I am unable to hear the tracks in stereo - just surround. When I select stereo, it accepts it, but I still get sound through all speakers. I am not sure if this would be a problem with the DVD player or the discs. I figured if it was a problem with the player, then it would effect all discs. I first thought was it was a issue with the discs, but for 3 of the 8 or so I own (that have stereo tracks) to have problems seems odd.

The 3 discs are:
    Yes - Fragile
    REM - AFTP
    Greatful Dead - AB

Thanks for any help!

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I haven't played with a DV-5700....

Is there a selection for Analog 6-channel and Analog 2-channel for output?

If so, try the Analog 2-channel.

Regards,

3. ChrisPATT

My only choices are Bitstream, PCM, & Analog. There is no individual selection for 2 channel analog.

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Chris, it sounds like your 2-channel input at the receiver is being processed as Pro-Logic 1 or II. Try changing your receiver mode to 2-channel stereo.

5. ChrisPATT

6. Jeffrey Wiffen

Jeffrey Wiffen Stunt Coordinator

I have the SD5700 as well. In fact its currently in the shop. I've been experiencing some audio playback difficulties of all things.
    Anyway, you will have to select PCM out on your DVD players audio menu to playback 2 channel audio. This is also the only way to utilize the players HDCD decoder. This however will require you to use two-wire RCA connectors out of the players PCM output, as well as the six analogue connectors for DVD-Audio playback, and your coax connector for 5.1 digital playback.

7. ChrisPATT

8. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

I have an SD-4700. For multi-channel I run "External" on my receiver and select 5.1 analog in the DVD player's menu to utilize the player's multi-channel outs. (I believe this is the only mode on my Denon 3802 that can utilize the MC analog inputs from the player)
    For DVD-A in stereo I run "direct" on my receiver and switch to PCM on the player. Some discs require you to select either multi-channel or stereo in it's setup menu as well.
    The display on my 4700 tells me what the player is reading when I punch the "audio" button on the remote.

9. ChrisPATT

Thanks for all the help.