Problem- My Computer and Systemworks 2003

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Joseph J.D, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'm currently having a problem that is pissing me off:

Whenever my computer runs Norton Systemworks for the usual weekly virus scan- it does so without incident; however, once I'm done with the computer for the day and I want to either place it on standby or shutdown...the computer freezes on the blue preparation screen and the drive makes a whirring sound as if it were winding down- the drive basically crashes leaving me with no option but to turn it off using the switch. Anybody had this problem and know of a solution that I can try? It only does this when I use the Systemworks software. I'm at my wits end trying to figure this problem out. Help!

2. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried running the diagnostic tools in Norton System Works. It is actually a good tool to fix Windows problems. Try also un-installing Norton and re-installing it.

3. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

Does it still do it if you exit right out of Systemworks beforehand?
    It sounds like it is hanging up as it is being asked to close during the shutdown routine of your O/S.
    Kill it first in Task Manager.

4. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Actually, Systemworks is exited out long before I finish my session. However, I think I've found the problem....When I was originally tackling this problem, I was thinking of it as a problem with the hard drive - but I didn't focus on Windows itself, so I tried Windoctor on it and it found several registry errors that is likely the source of the problem. I have since deleted every single one. So far, there hasn't been a problem with my computer for a couple of days.

I will run a full virus scan tommorrow just to make sure that everything is good. Hopefully it will power down properly after that is done. Jon and Cary, thanks a lot for your assistance. [​IMG]