Problem: My black levels have a reddish tint

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Seam Dempsy, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Seam Dempsy

Seam Dempsy Stunt Coordinator

I have a 27-inch Sony WEGA Flatscreen and I have begun to notice how the black is never completely black it always has this noticeable red-tint to it. Anyone know what picture setting I should adjust?

2. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I had the same problem with my WEGA, what model number is yours? Mine was KV27FV16, And was kind of cables are you using? I was using component cables. I noticed that if you turn the brightness down it pretty much goes away. My 27" Sharp at college also has this "problem" and turning down the brightness makes it go away. I posted a thread about this a little while ago, see it for full details.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=black

3. Seam Dempsy

Yeah I have component cables. I'll try lowering the brightness then. I took it off of the picture mode "Vivid" and changed it to "standard" which seemed to help a little. Oh and im not sure what the specific model number is but I just bought it 5 months ago.

4. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Find a copy of Video Essentials and calibrate your set following the directions on the disc. Most TV's by default are way to bright anyway.

Brian

5. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

The reddish tint is caused by a poorly (from the factory) adjusted grayscale. The grayscale can go every which way at low 10 to 20 IRE levels, which is just above black. If your TV has different color temperature presets, try experimenting with them. If that doesn't make it acceptable, a good ISF calibration would take care of your problem and greatly improve your picture in many, many ways.
    Calibrating with the test DVD's will be a big step, but fixing the reddish tint is a color temperature/grayscale problem.

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Ok so its not really a "defect" in the TV per say. But it is just set up wrong from the factory, correct? Is this something that can be fixed in the service menu? I guess I will not worry too much if my new TV has this "problem" as you can correct it I belive.

7. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, that's true. It's a calibration issue.

8. Seam Dempsy

I lowered the brightness a lot and it worked. The picture was still viewable but the red is gone.

9. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, merely lower picture brightness has only hidden the redness problem at the cost of also lowering some shadow detail into oblivion. You display has a grayscale calibration problem at the dark end. It isn't keeping all three color guns in proper balance such that the image remains at a constant color of gray from white to black. At the low (dark) end, the red gun is too bright. A professional calibration can bring the guns into correct balance at both the upper and lower end of the image brightness intensity. That will allow you to once more see the shadow details and avoid odd coloration tinting.