Problem is: Set up or Expectations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eric_thr, Oct 8, 2001.

1. eric_thr

eric_thr Extra

Sep 16, 2001
    I recently purchased a Toshiba 50H81 looking at HDTV as the future and I had to replace a TV now. After being disappointed with the analog cable picture, I decided to get Directv along with a Toshiba DST 3000 HD receiver. It finally gets installed and I am still disappointed in the picture. Some of the football games and other channels look horrible. I thought the digital satellite signal would help!?!?! I have spent a lot of money on this now and am not sure what to do. The HD channels do look extremely good. A few questions for some assistance...
    Are my expectations too high?
    Do I need to tweak the TV/satellite/STB?
    Should I take everything back?
  2. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

Mar 26, 2001
    if it really bothers take everything back or it may be a matter of getting use to it.
    The HD sets have difficulty with the NTSC signal
    Cable okay
    Satellite TV better
    DVD great
    HD Fantastic
    I own a Toshiba 56 in and if you graduated from a glass tube to as projection TV there is a noticeable loss of quality.
    Some of the HD sets are better than others with the NTSC signal.Pioneer Elite is excellent but it cost significantly more money I had the same thought having gone from a 36 in tube to 56 in projection.
    Go to some of the stores and have the dealer broadcast an NTSC signal.
    They will probably have problems because they show you a HD feed or a DVD to get you to buy the set.
    I presume that you are watching the NTSC signal through a supervideo cord,you may wish to try it through the tuner and channel 3 to see if that makes a difference.
    I feel the better quality on the DVD and HD makes up for any shortcomings of the NTSC signal.
  3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    I have the same Toshiba box with an Hitachi 53UWX10B 16/9 set. The picture quality varies tremendously from channel to channel on standard def channels, and looks especially bad on most if I set the box to output a "cropped" image (4/3 zoomed uniformly to fill the screen side to side, with top and bottom cropped). The gray bar mode looks best, but risks burn-in.
    Try running an S-video cable to one of the S-jacks on the tv, put the box in 480i mode with gray bars, then use one of the set's stretch modes to fill the screen.
    My experience has been that 90% of analog tv sources, like cable or satellite, look better on an analog set, regardless of stretch or line doubling. ER and a few network series are tolerably good, but most sitcoms, news, etc. are downright ugly. DVD and HD are gorgeous, though. I've been half tempted to just get a cheap 20" set to watch the news and sitcoms, and reserve the big set for dvd and HD.
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.
  4. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

Mar 20, 2001
    I have the 47" Panny and the DST 3000. I also have the same complaints as you. I tend to watch my local Digital channels (HDTV & SD) and DVDs. I rarely tune into DirecTV except for HDnet & HBO-HD of course. Its just the trade off we will have to deal with over the next few years! [​IMG]