What's new

Problem installing Quicktime 6.0 (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, this isn't so much as a Quicktime problem as it is a problem caused from downloading Quicktime.

Last night, I thought I successfully installed this program, and I was told I had to reboot my computer. I did this, and when my OS came back on (XP Home), the screen was black. I heard my startup sound, but couldn't see anything. I rebooted my computer, and went into safe mode, but then I realized my mouse and keyboard weren't working either when the "Choose User" screen came up. Well, I pulled out my XP cd and reinstalled it on a different partition of my computer and went to bed.

So here I am now. The screen is still completely blank (it displays an image until the desktop comes up) when I try to load the original XP, but the newer one is working. I haven't had any problems at all since I've installed XP in September. I have a P3 1GHz, 512MB, so this should be working. Any suggestions? Should I try repairing the problem using the XP cd? Would that delete the files I have? Has anyone else had this problem?

Before you start off babbling about stuff I don't know, I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" in this. I'm more in the "above average" user category. So if/when you're getting technical, please spell it out for me. Thanks in advance.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Oh yes, I tried to uninstall Quicktime, but there is no uninstaller for it. Then I tried to reinstall it, but the setup file is not where I downloaded it, and accessed it earlier.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey greg -

this is a weird one. i recently intalled quicktime on my p4 (xp home) without any problems like that.

i just checked my pc and i do have the uninstall option in the program group. i also see it in the control panel (add/remove programs). did you try uninstalling via the control panel? that's weird you don't have the uninstall option.

i don't think it will hurt to run the xp cd. i think there's some sort of "repair" option. i don't think it will delete any of your existing stuff, but i'm not 100%. you may want to post a separate thread on that topic.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I tried to uninstall it in the Control Panel first, but it's not there. I went back to the quicktime website and saw I picked the download, not the standalone download. I think something must've happened in the downloading process because the quicktime folder is extremely empty. I don't even see the quicktime.exe anywhere. Thanks for the advice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks