Problem installing Quicktime 6.0

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg*go, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Hmmm, this isn't so much as a Quicktime problem as it is a problem caused from downloading Quicktime.

Last night, I thought I successfully installed this program, and I was told I had to reboot my computer. I did this, and when my OS came back on (XP Home), the screen was black. I heard my startup sound, but couldn't see anything. I rebooted my computer, and went into safe mode, but then I realized my mouse and keyboard weren't working either when the "Choose User" screen came up. Well, I pulled out my XP cd and reinstalled it on a different partition of my computer and went to bed.

So here I am now. The screen is still completely blank (it displays an image until the desktop comes up) when I try to load the original XP, but the newer one is working. I haven't had any problems at all since I've installed XP in September. I have a P3 1GHz, 512MB, so this should be working. Any suggestions? Should I try repairing the problem using the XP cd? Would that delete the files I have? Has anyone else had this problem?

Before you start off babbling about stuff I don't know, I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" in this. I'm more in the "above average" user category. So if/when you're getting technical, please spell it out for me. Thanks in advance.

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Oh yes, I tried to uninstall Quicktime, but there is no uninstaller for it. Then I tried to reinstall it, but the setup file is not where I downloaded it, and accessed it earlier.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey greg -

this is a weird one. i recently intalled quicktime on my p4 (xp home) without any problems like that.

i just checked my pc and i do have the uninstall option in the program group. i also see it in the control panel (add/remove programs). did you try uninstalling via the control panel? that's weird you don't have the uninstall option.

i don't think it will hurt to run the xp cd. i think there's some sort of "repair" option. i don't think it will delete any of your existing stuff, but i'm not 100%. you may want to post a separate thread on that topic.

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I tried to uninstall it in the Control Panel first, but it's not there. I went back to the quicktime website and saw I picked the download, not the standalone download. I think something must've happened in the downloading process because the quicktime folder is extremely empty. I don't even see the quicktime.exe anywhere. Thanks for the advice though.