Problem getting DVD audio to a Sony STRDB930

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Billy W, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Billy W

Billy W Auditioning

I have Panasonic XP50 hooked up through a TOSlink cable to a Sony STRDB930 and I am having difficulty getting my receiver to read the audio signal. I simply get no sound. The blue COAXIAL light on the 930 is on, and the RCVR instruction manual says that when the RCVR detects a signal, it lights up the approriate light (COAX or Optical). I was running a coax cable from my old DVD player. I don't have that option now, because the XP50 offers only TOSlink audio out. I'm hoping this a minor problem. Can anybody help?

Bill

2. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

Make sure you don't have the receiver set to Coaxial only on the input you are using. The settings are usually Coaxial, Optical, or Auto (which you should use). Also check the DVD players settings to be sure it is set to bitstream for both DD and DTS.

Now if you are talking about DVD-Audio as in the musical DVD-A then you MUST use the six analog outputs of your DVD player into the six analog inputs on your receiver. DVD-A only works through the analog outputs of a DVD player not the digital outputs (Coaxial or Optical).