What's new

Problem completing downloads (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I recently switched to DSL from dial up (no cable available here). I am running a Lynksis wireless router with a pc attached by ethernet to the router and a wireless notebook. I don't seem to have any trouble with the service other than when I try to download large files. I have only tried to download the Windows updates and Live updates from Symantic. The problem seems to be with either computer. My pc is running Win 2k and my laptop XP. The laptop is a brand new Toshiba P4 2.8G 512K ram. The pc is a couple years old. The download will freeze up in the middle of a download and the only way to clear it is by opening the Task Manager and hitting End Task. I ended up downloading the updates one at a time, but some of the larger ones (15 to 23 MB) I couldn't get to download. Is this a function of Norton Internet Security, which I have on both machines or is it a function of my router or my DSL modem? Any ideas?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Is this problem happening only happening with those two servies? Try downloading a very large file through your browser, like a demo game or something, to see if your browser is doing it as well.

I've had this happen before, and the only way to resolve it was to complain to the VP of Tech Support and to switch DSL providers. I'm hoping that your situation is not the same, because it was a berfect example of how to get high blood pressure.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If your problem is similar to mine, no connection optimizer will make any difference. I finally was able to prove that the problem (which is frighteningly similar to yours) was on my ISP's side. It was only when faced with the results of a network snoop that I performed that they finally backed off and took responsibility for the issue. It was not an issue with my system or network; it was 100% their problem.

That's why I'm asking you to rule out or confirm whether or not this problem exists with large downloads through your browser. Please make multiple large downloads of different files from different sites.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
John,
I spoke to tech support on an unrelated issue and mentioned this. The tech said that he had never heard of such a thing. He advised me to download a download manager to help with downloads, which I did. He also suggested downloading adaware to sniff out any spyware, which I did, it sniffed out 20 suspected spyware files. The download manager helped only in that I could see the progress of the download getting stuck, it would start at the full rate, 55 to 60 KB/s, after downloading a couple of MB it would drop to like 20 then 1.5, 0.6, then to 0. I ran the speed check while this was going on and it was right up at 430. As far as my laptop goes, I couldn't even download the download manager.

What is a network snoop? How do I do it? What was your resolution once you proved it was them? Thanks again John.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Hoo, boy. You situation is identical to what I went through. THat's not good.

What was your resolution once you proved it was them?
I was so pissed off at Verizon and their excuses by the time I figured out what the problem was, I had already gotten another DSL provider installed on my second phone line. Verizon gave me two months free, but I cancelled before the two free months were up and stuck with the other provider.

Is your DSL provider using PPPoE for connecting to their network? The problem was due to an aspect of Verizon's PPPoE server software that was killing my connection somehow.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I have located the problem. It is my wireless router, a Linksys model. I have no problem performing large downloads when the DSL cable is connected either directly to my pc or my laptop, but when going through my router that's when I get the hangups. Usually after a few megabytes into the download. I also ruled out Norton. The downloads go fine with Norton on as long as the DSL is connected directly in. Any thoughts? Any way to troubleshoot the router?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Nah. Just make sure that you have your important settings written down just in case. It's a pretty easy thing to do. I've done it several times. Just download the firmware executable and follow the directions. They're straightforward.

A lot of times Linksys also includes news functions as opposed to just fixing code.

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, I have used Download Accelerator a lot, it works real well. You need to download from somewhere that supports resumable downloads, but most do now days. You can still DL from places that don't, it just DLs at normal speed. I usually use it for huge files...and i mean HUGE! Like linux ISO's that are 850 MB or so per image, but works well for anything over a couple megabytes.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Without knowing how your ISP requires your router to be configured, I really can't answer that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks