What's new

Probably a stupid Sub Question (1 Viewer)

Jimmy James

Auditioning
A newbie to the home theater area. I have a sub that is normally in my truck all seasons but the winter while the truck is in storage. Is it possible to hook a subwoofer designed for automobile use to a home theater receiver? I figure you'll want to know what the receiver is and I dont have that info right now, but I will get it later, I know its an Onkyo. Thanks

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the folks here will also ask:

How many Ohms the speaker is rated at?
Whether it is a powered sub or not?

I believe it will come down to having enough amplification to drive it. The LFE out on your Onkyo is an unamplified signal, so you need an amp (which you can plug into your wall--versus a car battery) which is capable of driving the ohm-load the sub presents...

Jimmy James

Auditioning
The speaker has Dual 2Ohm voice coils series wired for 4 Ohms. (I ran it parralel wired for a while at 1ohm and it kept overheating my amp :b ) It is not a powered sub so any suggestion for an amp? Can I just use a seperate home stereo receiver?

Edit: Its a Kicker Solo Baric L7 12"

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, you can use it, and you will be best served by using separate amplification. If you get a 4 0hm capable amp for the sub, you should have no problem. In other words, it depends entirely on the amp you will use.

If you hook it directly to a lower end receiver, you will most likely experience the same problem you had while running at 1 Ohm, either overheating or clipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks