1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Probably a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan_d, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Bryan_d

Bryan_d Extra

but i will ask anyway. I am considering the Harman Kardon 525 but it does not have phono input. It does however have tape input which i will not be using, so as you can guess I am wondering if I can use the tape input for the phono? Will it work, but will it be good as well? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

No Bryan, it won't work. Tape inputs (as well as all other inputs but phono) are "line level", which is roughly 1 Vrms. Phono inputs are designed for millivolt level signals from phono cartridges. You'll need an external phono preamp to boost the signal up to line level.

As you observed, fewer and fewer receivers these days have phono inputs.

3. Bryan_d

Bryan_d Extra

Dave thanks for the information. Now this leaves me with a search for phono preamps that resluted in a price range of $50 - $1500. Now I am just totally confused. Would it just make more sense to find another reciever that I like that has a phono input. My second choice was the Onkyo SR800. Are there any others within the rough price range of $700-$900 that are worth considering. It will most likely be used with NHT SB3s all around.

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

There's at least one other thread running right now about preamps, so I'll just say that having the phono input is nice, but you can certainly live without it and just buy a relatively cheap phono preamp, as long as
    A) You don't listen to that many records, or
    B) Your record players isn't one of the more awesome ones out there anyway.

As for the HK vs. Onkyo, it's a hard choice. The HK has, by far, better bass management (a triple crossover, and it can apply it to the 6 channel inputs...), but the Onkyo does video conversions (from composite to S-vid), and has better digital processing options. I like the hookups on the back of the Onkyo better, but that's mostly personal preference...

Me