Probably a dumb hardware question, but...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

I don't know the answer. I have an old computer that gets the proc. speed adusted via jumpers on the mobo. It is a 75 Mhz Pentium that is overclocked to 100 Mhz right now. When I try to raise the speed to even the next highest point, 133, I get no display. The screen simply will not show anything. The computer makes the regular sounds of booting, but I don't see anything at all. Is there anything I can do so I can o.c. a little more? Thanks.

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

You can try better cooling methods, but you're already at a 33% jump in speed. I'm not big into the OC scene, but 33 percent sounds like a pretty good jump to me. I *really* doubt you could push it to 133.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

What kind of video card? Overclocking changes voltage in the system, some cards go nuts.

-Vince

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

also theres bus speed a P-75 is going to have a 50 mhz bus speed where a 133 would have been 66mhz bus.

So a P-75 is running at a multiplier of 1.5 to get 75mhz and 2.0 to get a 100mhz speed but would not be able to achieve 133 since it can not be multiplied correctly hence making it so the system doesnt even boot.

The next speed you'd be able to do would be 150mhz or a 2.5 multiplier if the board supports it but you're at that point going to end up making it run way to unstable. I'd leave it at 100, the old pentiums are not as friendly to overclockers as the newer stuff is.

hope this helps explain your problem.

5. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Really I think the question here is WHY would you even want to bother overclocking a P75.

6. Jeff Braddock

Vince,
    The video card is an ATI something or other...it's a 2 MB card. I think it's a Rage Pro or something... I could look, but I'm feeling lazy.

Jeremy,
    I tried up from 100, including 150, but still no display.

Shane,
    My question is why not?[​IMG] I know it's a really old beast, but I got it for cheap, I'm trying my 1st case mod on it for experiment, and I will probably use it for something or other. I know, what in the world could I use a 75 pentium systme for? That's a good question, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. [​IMG]

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I never overclocked an older CPU but have the newer ones. One thing is that you may want to make sure there is enough voltage getting the CPU when overclocked. Unfortunately, I dont know how to check that on the older MB's as its all set in BIOS now.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

John, seen you say this several time. Curious why.

-Vince

10. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

The P-75 and P-150 are the same core voltage 3.5volts, though most chips have a certain limit to what multiplier you can use on them so you dont blow them up.

11. Jeff Braddock

All I know is that I get no display on any setting over 100. I guess I'll just keep it there unless anyone has a suggestion on how to get it higher

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Are you really noticing much of an improvement even jumping from 75mhz to 100?
    I did the same overclock with my old 75mhz Pentium and any speed increase I noticed I attributed to my psychological need to revel in the success of the overclock. I don't think there was much (if any) real world improvements.

13. Jeff Braddock

Well Camp, I'm not sure if there is any real world improvement. I haven't set down with a watch to time things. I will say this, if there is any improvment, it isn't awe inspiring. [​IMG] By the way, do you ever make it into SE Illinois? I used to live over there and go through St. Louis when I go back to visit.

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I guess there aren't many benchmark programs still around for Pentium class CPUs.

I can't say I've spent much time in that part of Illinois. I used to live in Champaign but that's pretty far north of the area you mention.
    Where in Missouri are you?

15. Jeff Braddock

Camp,
    I am in the Ozark "mountains," west of Sprinfield.

Everybody,
    How would I set it up as a firewall/proxy if I so desired?

16. Jeff Braddock

anyone?

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Don't bother. You're reaching the limits of physics here trying to go faster than 100 mHz.

The highest I've ever heard was 120Mhz, but that was using refrigeration on the chip itself. At greater speeds, even with proper cooling, the chip will literally self-destruct (some kind of electron flow effect causing the transistors to fuse at higher clock speeds, regardless of temperature...kind of like what happens from electrostatic shock).

I haven't been able to get a P75 faster than 120 myself. My motherboard at the time allowed me to adjust the bus ratio, so that the PCI bus would still run at 66Mhz. It was unstable as hell, so I had to go back to 75.

Why don't you search Google Groups? The archives go back to 1990 or earlier now. I'm sure somebody tried, but only at extraordinary cost.

It's not worth it, unless you want to fry your antique computer!

18. Jeff Braddock

Max,
    In my last question, I was asking about a proxy/firewall setup, not boosting the proc speed. I have pretty much given up on getting it any higher. Also, mom talked like she would give me her old computer when she moves.

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Oops I meant to say that I went back to 100Mhz, overclocked from 75. Man, that was a long time ago. [​IMG]

Have you considered using linux as a proxy/firewall? I guess I should ask if you've ever used Linux before.

20. Jeff Braddock

I have considered it, but never used it. The computer lab at school has an option to boot to Linux, but I always go with Win XP. Would I need to use linux to set up a firewall/proxy?

As far as frying my antique...I was hoping to find an answer to my overclocking question w/o having to use the smoke test (if it smokes, it ain't right). I guess 100 is my max. Oh well.

So would you guys mind filling me in on the proxy/firewall deal? Thanks.