What's new

Prob. of anamorphic DVD-R with HD-A2 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My local PBS station sells videos of local productions. Their DVDs are actually produced in tiny quantities and sold on DVD-R media. A recent disc "Idaho: An Aerial Tapestry" is composed in 16:9 anamorphic NTSC video and distributed on DVD-R media.

This disc looks great when played back on my downstairs set with Philips DVD player and Samsung DLP RPTV.

However, I've had a problem playing back this disc - and ONLY this disc - using my newer Toshiba HD-A2 player connected via HDMI cable to an Optoma HD-72 front projector. Both the player and projector are configured for 16:9 video.

This setup plays back everything just right. HD-DVD looks stunning. Older 4:3 SD DVD comes up properly framed with black-bars on the sides. And 16:9 discs such as Battle of Brittain and The Wind and The Lion look just right.

But for some reason the I:AAT disc (DVD-R) doesn't play properly. It has the right vertical dimension. But it's squeezed sideways, into the frame of a 4:3 movie (i.e. the video is too tall and there are black-bars on the sides). This happened when I was using the as-shipped version 1.2 firmware. But when I upgraded to the version 2.5 firmware the problem remained.

Does anyone have any insight into why this disc and ONLY this disc has this framing problem? :confused:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It's not tagged as anamorphic, it's tagged as 4:3. So the player outputs it as 4:3. Maybe PBS can replace it for a properly tagged recording.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
But it plays back correctly on my Philips DVD 963SA and Samsung system, when both are configured for anamorphic 16:9 playback.

You don't understand. The local Idaho PBS station isn't going to exchange any discs. They are all the same. And they certainly won't remaster any discs just because I complain. I would guess that I've purchased 10% of all the discs they have sold of this program. I've sent copies to Cees Alons and Mike Frezon and neither of these worthies have mentioned any problems with 16:9 NTSC playback.

Besides, if it were a tagging problem, it wouldn't display with the proper vertical resolution.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Your other DVD players probably do not automatically pillarbox DVD's tagged as 4:3. Most do not. Vertical resolution is the same for 16:9 and 4:3 DVD's. The only time vertical resolution is decreased is with anamorphic films on 4:3 TV's. You can stretch 4:3 films horizontally by changing a setting in the A2. Try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks