What's new

Pro vs Con for Subs in front corners?? (1 Viewer)

John Cain

Second Unit
What are the pro and cons of putting two identical subs (SVS, likely Ultra's) in the front two corners rather than putting both in the same corner.

I know I will lose some headroom, and not get the synergistic effect of putting them together, but are there other positives, or other negatives of separating them???

Thanks!!

-- John

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
The positive note is that they will look better in corners to the wife. I have mine like that now and they sound good. I do not know how much different it would be in one corner. (WAF Factor)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
You'll likely lose 1-2dB of headroom,otherwise it shouldn't be much of a problem. Keep them in a dual MONO configuration though...unless you want to degrade their performance in important regards.

TV

John Cain

Second Unit
Thanks guys, you two were FAST with your response..

Tom, when you say Dual Mono, you mean set them up just like a standard sub where you feed them both the same signal of frequencies below the pre/pro's crossover???

Take care,

-- John

Richard_M

Second Unit
Just to add another twist, is there a preference to put both subs in the left corner or right corner. Provided of course the room is able to accomondate either. Just that alot of the Hi-fi shops I go into tend to have their subs located in the front left corner.

Richard

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I would go with the corner that's closer to the key seating and/or the corner that's farther away from any adjacent openings into the room.

TV

Paul Gere

Second Unit
John,
I've had great luck so far with subs in opposing front corners. Provides very even bass throughout the room without any noted loss in headroom vs. dual corner placement.
FWIW,
:D
-Paul

Joe-T

Stunt Coordinator
Would they be in phase if the two subs were placed in the front two corners of the room? How about if one was placed in say the front left corner and the other in the rear left corner?

John Cain

Second Unit
Thanks again guys for the replies..

I'm leaning towards placing in each of the front corners so everyone gets a similar level of sound in their seats.

-- John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks