Pro Sound Power Amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Sabato, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Joe Sabato

Joe Sabato Auditioning

Has anyone used Pro Sound power amps in their system? I had not considered one until I saw that SVS offers them for their unpowered Subs. My old 300 W/Ch Dyna 416 died recently and I am looking for a replacement since my spare power amp is marginal for subwoofer applications at high levels.

I will also be using it to power a pair of passive subs ( 4 ohm impedence) so they will not be working above 80 HZ. You can get a lot more power for the $$ in to 4 ohms ( and they are also rated at 2 ohms) than in an "audiophile" amp.

A local pro sound dealer recommended QSC Audio amps over the Samson that SVS sells and lower priced CE series Crowns ( he carries them all) for this application stating they are very clean sounding and would very well. I am looking for 450 - 600 W/Channel in to 4 ohms since the subs I have will take it.

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Joe,
    A lot of people use pro sound amps for subwoofers. Right now I'm using a combination of Bryston and Sumo amps for mains and surrounds with an esoteric Metron A4000 (550wpc into 4 ohms... kind of a cross between "audiopile" and "pro sound") for subs. If I upgrade to subwoofers using the new Tumult driver, I'll probably go with some big (1500+ watts) pro amp(s). The Crown K2 is considered possibly the ultimate sub amp: 800 wpc into 4 ohms (or 2500 bridged @4), passively cooled --no fan noise, excellent sound, and bullet-proof. QSC amps are highly regarded as well. I'll bet if you inquire on the "DIY and advanced topics" forum, you'll get tons of responses from pro amp users.