pro logic, thx, etc

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by George Bir, Aug 29, 2004.

1. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

When starting new ht system, should we make sure our reciever handles many formats?
    Is this possible staying in the 500-600 range (new)?
    Checking prices probably not with thx, what about others?
    Also, not sure if I have the name right, but, are the optical inputs a big advantage? And would you recomend 1 for each device?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You only need to worry about the formats you intend to use, but in that price range any receiver should accommodate any format you need.

THX is not a format. It’s a “ruler” for the performance and certain after-the-fact processing for components.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

George, I would make sure that whatever reciever you chose to go with has the ability to process Dolby Digital and DTS.
    Don't worry about THX. Like Wayne said it's a ruler, but it only measures $$$. If you gave George Lucas enough money I'm sure he would slap a THX logo on your clock radio. Of course this is only my opinion.

4. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Thanks alot guys.

Also do you know if optical outputs are important?

5. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Yes they are. You need either an optical or coax cable for DD or DTS.

I don't know if you've read it yet, but here's a link to the faq page. Take the time and give it a thorough read.
    I know everything seems a bit overwhelming at first but it will all come together. Just take the time to learn before you rush into a purchase that you may regret later.

This is the best place to start learning.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=120328

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Optical INPUTS are important for receiving digital signals from source devices. There are 2 kinds of digital inputs, optical, which uses a fibre optic cable, and co-axial which uses a standard RCA jack wire cable.

You will need enough of these INPUTS so that you have one for each digital audio source device in your proposed system. To my knowledge, all digital audio source devices (dvd players, HD tuner boxes, cd players) have optical digital outputs but not all have co-axial digital outputs so make sure you have enough digital inputs of the correct type to handle all your source devices.

Optical OUTPUTS on a receiver are used for recording digital audio sources to outboard recording devices like some minidisc recorders, Digital Audio Tape recorders, or cd recorders. Chances are you won't have one of these in your system so the presence of optical outputs on a receiver is not very important.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Some of the lower end Sony models only have digital coax output...to be on the safe side, buy something with both.

8. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

Actually with the recent price drops in DVD recorders, you should probably look for a receiver that has an optical or coax out. You'll probably need it in the future, and better safe than sorry!