What's new

Pro Logic Setting on Samsung Home Theater (1 Viewer)

duesentrieb

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandro
Hi, I am a proud owner of a new Samsung HT-D5530 system. From what I understand the Pro Logic II decoder is allows to upmix stereo (or mono) signals to 5.1 surround sound. Dolby allowed three basic modes of which Samsung utilizes Music and Movie mode. They also have a - Pro Logic Mode (what does that do other than the music and movie mode?) - Matrix mode (I believe I've read somewhere that this mode is used for upmixing from mono sources?) - Stereo mode I can switch between these modes even when viewing movies with Dolby Digital sound (or probably DTS, but I couldn't try that so far). I believe that I do not need a Pro Logic processor when receiving a Dolby Digital or DTS signal. (cable box is connected directly to HT via optical cable; HT has a built-in blu ray) What mode should I set my Pro Logic II processor to? I can not find a button which allows me to switch to DTS or Dolby Digital. Thank you a lot for any help. I am already a bit puzzled about the different options and the manual is not so great...

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'd say just set it to Dolby Pro Logic II and leave it. No matter what it's set on, when a 5.1 signal is present, it should automatically go to Dolby Digital or DTS, depending on what you're watching. TV channels don't broadcast in DTS. Very few TV channels broadcast in Dolby 5.1 also. Make sure that cable/sat box is set to output audio as Dolby Digital. Once things are set, you shouldn't need to switch back and forth for audio formats. It should all be automatic, depending on the signal being fed to the receiver. Double check your settings. Pages 36 and 37 of manual may help there. Good luck!

duesentrieb

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandro
Thank you Ed, I will try this tonight and come back with the result. I likely have to check the settings of the cable box because I recently watched a 5.1 movie and the home theater did not say that it found a 5.1 signal. I will come back to you!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
BTW................. I hope you don't have everything going to the TV first, then out from TV to the A/V receiver. Most of the time, that won't work for getting real Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. Things needs to go to A/V receiver, then out from it to the TV. Forgot to mention that earlier, since you never said how you had things hooked up.

duesentrieb

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandro
Hi Ed, the box is connected via optical cable directly to the AVR and only then the AVR to the TV - However, your proposed solution worked! Thank you, I fell victim to two problems: - the cable box was set to stereo sound and the setup manual from my provider only mentioned the optical cable and not the additional setting I had to do - the Samsung AVR gives no indication what signal it receives. I just tried and set all different Dolby Pro Logic modes with a surround signal utilized and it turns out that although the AVR tells me that it switches sound modes it basically simply ignores my settings and puts out surround sound. Try and Listen... Thank you Ed, now I am happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks