Pro Logic Problems

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ward_M, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Ward_M

Ward_M Auditioning

Hi there, I have been having a great time watching DVD's, television programmes and videos on my new home theatre system. Its a budget Pioneer XVDV303 but no complaints until today.

All of a sudden my TV programmes and video tapes aren't giving me and sound from the rear speakers. However when I watch DVD's there is no problem. The tests I have done to try isolate the problems are:

- Play DVD (sound is fine through the back speakers)
    - Try retuning the channels through the video as I thought it could be something to do with tv signal (no luck)
    - Play a video still no sound through back
    - Change the leads (no luck)

What would cause it to do this? On the display for the Pioneer it has lit up Pro Logic II. What was once a perfectly working system has somehow thrown this at me [​IMG]

Does anyone have some ideas that could help me solve this annoying problem?

Thanks to anyone who can [​IMG]

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's hard to say without seeing the system but my first check would be with the television. I'm sure there is either a switch or a menu option to toggle between mono and stereo sound, if mono is selected it would kill the rear channels in Pro Logic II.

3. Ward_M

Ward_M Auditioning

By selecting the auto button on the Pioneer remote it selects the default sound selection. For example when I play a DVD it chooses Dolby Digital (depending on the disc)

However when selecting Auto on a T.V or Video what once came up with Pro Logic now come up with a stereo icon on the system display.

I know unfortunately its difficult to diagnose without seeing the system in front of you, however maybe someone else has had this happen to them. The thing that interests me is that I have not changed any setting and have double checked that the setting on the video is not set to mono. Thanks for the input Carl [​IMG]

4. chris_jh_moses

not familiar with the receiver per se, but I was having a similar problem with my receiver, expect it would play dd5.1 dvd's in pro logic mode. I worked it out by fooling around with the dsp modes for that input w/o that input being powered up, try fiddling around with your dsp modes for your tv input

5. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

You realise that with Prologic depending on the source you will not always get the same surround action as you would with DD. When you say no sound is that listening at the seats or have you tried listening with your head right next to the speaker. Try a video tape that you know uses the surrounds and see what happens. Try listening to a DVD in prologic mode and see what heppens there.