What's new

Pro Logic II (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I guess that depends on what you mean. Too many people seemed to think because it came out after Dolby Digital that it was supposed to be the next audio format from the Dolby people.

In actuality, it is just a very basic expansion on the original concept of pro logic- and as such I think it's decent. It certainly isn't ground breaking- but in terms of 2 channel DSP, it is a nice addition and a slight improvement over simple Pro Logic DSP.

So, I guess it all depends on your expectations.

-V

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree, better than old PL, but still not as good as a true 5.1/6.1 format.

It also depends on what you are using it for. With stereo, mono, and lower versions of Dolby surround, it sound quite good. Most specifically TV broadcast, standard VHS tapes, and the odd DVD here and there that fall under the non- 5.1/6.1 material mentioned in the previous sentence.

With stereo music, it really depends on the recording, but it still doesn't sound very good to me with most CDs, and I prefer stereo anyway, because PL II doesn't sound nearly as good as true multi-channel music.

Am I a fan of it? No. Is it bad? No. Do I use it? Not if I can avoid it.

My receiver has CS5.1 (Circle surround) that sounds much better, IMO.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I listen to 2-channel sound, using 2-channels. I don’t really care for reproduction artificially diverted to other speakers.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Artificial is a bit of mis-statement in this case. Many 2 channel soundtracks are specifically created (heck, PAINSTAKINGLY created) to be used with a dolby surround process. It would be more correct to say that the programs are "incorrect" when listened to in 2 channel, when they were mixed in a 4 channel environment and encoded to 2.

DPL2 just takes cues from the front soundstage (and some other interesting trickery) to split the surrounds into stereo.

-Vince

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think generally I like the 5.1 CS better for the older VHS tapes and PL-II for the newer VHS. I can't think of the last time I put a VHS in though. Seems like with CS you get more bass. I prefer PL-II over reg PL though.

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Even with standard cable, VHS tapes and music, Ide rather listen to stereo or 5 ch stereo. With PLII it seems like the center ch is the only speaker I have.

I just havent found anything good to watch and listen to in PLII.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
PLII :emoji_thumbsup: I have that and DTS:Neo6 on my receiver (Pioneer VSX-D811S), although I don't use DTS:Neo6 becasut PLII sounds more natural to me. I like PLII for TV and my Star Wars LD's sound SWEET in PLII. Regular CD music I listen to in plain old stereo.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I switch between DPLII and Neo:6 when watching Laserdiscs or other Dolby surround encoded material.

Damian Giddins

Auditioning
I tend to use DTS Neo:6 a lot.

When i first heard PLII i thought it was a big improvement over PL, but since i discovered Neo6, i tend to use it most of the time.

Admittedly my A/V system is not used for any 'normal' audio (CD's etc) at all.

Skiddins

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks