Pro Logic II

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenjaminA, Dec 30, 2001.

1. BenjaminA

BenjaminA Extra

I am looking at getting the Onkyo 696 and have a question about dolby pro logic II. I would like to use it to listen to music and watch movies. I see that is does not have something like circle surround mode that is on kenwoods. Would I be able to use pro logic II to play stereo music through all the speakers, so it would be like 5.1? Thanks

Ben

2. MartyV

MartyV Auditioning

I have a 797 and the PLII does a good job of creating a soundstage for music that is to my liking. The 797 also has a dsp stereo mode that all of the lefts front, side, and rear will play the left stereo and all of the rights front, side and rear will play the right stereo sound. I am not sure but would imagine that the 696 as the same dsp.

Marty.

3. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

The 595 has all channel stereo...which I assume the 696 would. Is that what you're thinking of?

4. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

DPL2 is like SRS Circle Surround, the big difference is that DPL2 is a bit more tame with the surrounds. You will be happy with the 5.1 like effect of DPL2.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    CS 5.1 does a much better job than PL-II for music. Personally, I am not that impressed with PL-II. I have gotten away from listening to stereo music in any kind of DSP or matrixed mode as I do not feel it adds anything.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave

7. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    When poeple first listen to DPL II, they want to really "notice" the surround speakers. With non-surround encoded material, this does not happen. DPL II creates a soundfield that blends beautifully. After listening to DPL II for a while, then switching back to plain stereo, the music sounded (to me) flat and empty in comparison.

With surround encoded material, you will "notice" more activity in the surrounds. There isn't a lot of surround encoded CDs out there, but I have one which sounds great with DPL II.

8. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

"With surround encoded material, you will "notice" more activity in the surrounds. There isn't a lot of surround encoded CDs out there, but I have one which sounds great with DPL II."

How does DPL II sound with VHS tapes (2 channel, DPL, Dolby Surround)? How about with certain DVD movies (2 channel PCM, DD2.0)?

Thanks,

Michael

9. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    DPL II sounds vastly superior to old DPL on Dolby Surround encoded movies.

10. David Cohn

David Cohn Extra

"The biggest weakness to the 696's implementation of DPLII is it doesn't provide any adjustment parameters. I think those are available in the 797 and up (and other brand receivers). But having never used them, I don't miss them."

Even Dolby Pro Logic II-Music?

My Denon 2802 has music parameters for width, panorama, and depth. The DPL II - Cinema only adjusts for cinema eq which I don't use.

The DPL II - Music parameters are pretty handy. My center speaker is on the weak side so I have played with the width parameter.

11. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    David,

The Onkyo 494, 595, & 696, were among the very first receivers to offer DPL II, and do not have the music mode adjustments. The 797 & 898 came later and do offer them.

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I'm not bothered by the lack of adjustable DPLII parameters on my 696; just pointing it out in case Benjamin is an adjustment freak [​IMG]

13. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

When I first got my 595, I threw on the VHS of the original Star Wars trilogy... and was so impressed with the improvement in sound that I watched all three that day. Also, the 2-channel original DVD of Tombstone sounds INCREDIBLE in DPL-II. Even limited fidelity 2-channel tracks like Quigley Down Under sound notably better with DPL-II.

If you really want to hear DPL-II shine for music, check out the CD HAUNTED by Poe. It's an absolute revelation (and a damn good album).

14. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Thanks for the feedback about DPL II with VHS and 2 channel movies sources. I am in the process of replacing our Lexicon MC-1 with a different processor, but I wanted to be able to replace Logic 7 with something suitable for 2 channel sources. It sounds like DPL II is that "something". [​IMG]
    Michael

15. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

SRS Circle Surround 2 will be here soon. Go to www.srslabs.com and look to the right and read the December 7th article.

16. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit