1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pro Logic II problem

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by John Odendaal, Mar 11, 2005.

1. John Odendaal

We have a Yamaha RX-V450 receiver and the sources are a Pioneer DVD player and a digital satellite decoder.

When I listen to a CD, and select PLII/Music, I hear sound out of all five speakers. So there is no problem with PLII and CDs.

However, when it comes to the broadcast signals, sound comes out of only the centre speaker. Every other speaker emits a weird, garbled, incomprehensible sound.

My decoder is connected to the amp via RCA leads. I have only tried channels where there is clearly a stereo signal to begin with. Could the problem be that it is not a digital signal coming from the decoder? Or is it that there is no hidden info in the stereo signal that is received?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. John Odendaal

Okay, somebody told me that PL/PLII works properly when there is good stereo separation, and that I should try it with a newish action film. I did that, and there was a definite improvement, with channel specific audio coming out of the rears. However, when listening up close to the rears in the quiet sequences, I still noticed the strange garbled sound, although it was faint. Could it be that at low volume sequences, it is merely possible to hear the side effects of the amp trying to determine what goes to each speaker?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    PL/PLII is intended to extract center/surround infomation from Dolby Surround encoded material. It will work with plain stereo too, just not as well. If everything collapses to the center, you have a mono signal on that broadcast. So basically, your results will vary from broadcast to broadcast.