Pro Logic II for music?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I currently use Pro Logic (not the II) on my minisystem to convert my stereo music to surround sound but I find the sound quality is reduced when Pro Logic is enabled.

Does the Pro Logic II music mode keep a good quality while converting music to surround?

Thanks

2. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

i find it quite lacking for music myself in DPL II.
    I have a Denon 2802.

3. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Your precistent, the surround on PL2 is awesome, I think.
    It works good if you have to have surround music. You might want to try out DVD-Audio. I myself prefer 2channel stereo

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

PLII music is my default way to listen to music,and I found stereo lacking and rather "limited" in comparison.
    However the music mode is quiet customizable,so one should take the time to do so.

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

PLII is very nice w/music and I find it particularly enjoyable w/basic TV, too.

6. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

PLII is great for TV, terrible for music.

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I still prefer music in stereo, but I was very impressed with music in prologic 2 Movie mode. To me, movie mode was much better for music than music mode. When compared to the original prologic, prologic 2 is far better. Stereo is still king to me though.

8. Rex Quinn

Rex Quinn Agent

I despise using the pro logic 2 decoder for music, it sounds terrible. My reciever (Panasonic SA-HE100) has a "simulated surround" mode though where it just sends the same signal to all speakers. Can't go wrong with that, or just plain stereo mode.

9. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett Stunt Coordinator

I really like DLP II (music) for some of my cd's. Some don't work well with it, but some sound like they were made for it. This is my first surround sound system and I am very impressed with what DLP II does. I don't strictly listen to cd's with DLP II, but it's really, really nice to have. I do listen to all television with it.

From what little I have read about it I think that the surrounds are now full range and stereo as opposed to regular DPL being mono and limited frequency range (don't take that as gospel.) So, that in itself I'm sure would make a huge impovement over the original DLP.

The adjustment parameters on DPL II music make a huge difference in the sound on my system (Onkyo 700). The center width has to be at full l/r (7) and no center to get full range sound. The more I cut the center channel in the weaker the sound gets. From what I've read the volume should be equal across all three speakers at like 3 or 4 but the sound is really weak (no bass) when I set it that way. I haven't read anyone else having this problem so it may just be my unit.

10. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Well, Rex, I completely disagree. I despise 5-channel stereo and love DPL-II for music. To each his own...

11. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

DPL-II on my Onkyo TX-DS 797 seems lacking when compaired to other options. I persoanlly like all channel stereo. However I can't wait to get the DVD-A/SACD set-up.

However I guess it also depends on your speakers. If you have a surround system with smaller surrounds and rear and great mains and center then DPL-II may sound better. If you have all floor standing speakers and a system that disperses an equal wattage amount to all speakers then all channel may sound better.

Then the purists love 2 channel tube aplification through seperates.

Who's right, who's wrong. Who cares as long as you like what you like on your set-up.

12. Rex Quinn

Rex Quinn Agent

Yeah, I forgot to mention, it's pretty subjective. I actually prefer regular stereo mode, but I'm using stereo surround just to break in the speakers. Rick, you're right though, to each their own. I can't make any sense of trying to create real "surround sound" with music. I listen to really heavy music and I'm in a death metal band myself, and when we jam, there's no "surround" effect to it, its just the same sound comming from all around you, thus stereo surround is the better option for me. I find DPL2 severley lacking in bass, and there's no real power behind the music, and death metal is nothing without those two things [​IMG]

13. Jason Tracewell

Jason Tracewell Stunt Coordinator

I like the DPL II for TV, it gives it more of a 'your sitting in the audience' feel. It's okay for Music, but I too still like good ol' 2-channel sound... It just sounds right... Probably cause that's what we were all used to growing up (unless you had a 5.1 setup in your room when you were like 14..) [​IMG] I haven't tried any of the hi-def formats yet, but I am wanting to, just to hear the difference..
    Just my 2¢...

14. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

I use PLII for TV and it is much better than the old Prologic. I actually prefer PL2-Music so I can adjust the center width a bit.

But for music, I really don't care for PL2, it has a slightly bloated mid-bass that colors the sound. For serious music listening I prefer stereo. The all-channel stereo mode is OK for getting loud output, but it totally destroys soundstage and imaging, so I only use it when I have the music on in the background while moving about the house.

15. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

2-channel please for music.

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Without trying to sound like a music snob, be aware that when playing music through DPLII, whatever is showing up in the rear channels is not what the musicians intended.
    The "old" Dolby Pro-Logic system (and the original Dolby Surround)is probably more true to the music. In most music recordings there is always some out-of-phase* (basically, reverberation) information, especially in live recordings. DPL is designed to detect these signals in a stereo input, subtract them, and send them to the rear channel amplfiers (the center channel detection process works differently). But, not all music fed through DPL will sound good (to me anyway) as it is kind of a hit-or-miss thing. It all depends on how the music was originally recorded (the physical recording venue, special-effects equipment, microphone placement, etc.). A good example: when I play Madonna's Immaculate Collection through DPL most tracks have quite a bit of extra sonic "space"--nice. But on other heavily processed pop music it just sounds kind of messy or blurry (it's hard to describe). And sometimes nothing happens.
    So basically, just hit the Pro-Logic button and see what happens.
    Only a true multichannel (i.e. discrete channel) format like sacd, dvd-audio, Dolby Digital or DTS can recreate what the musician intended you to hear. Exception: there are a few recordings out there that have utilized the Dolby Surround process, especially classical recordings. Entering "cd dolby surround" into the Google search engine yielded lots of hits.
    * Out-of-phase: this means in one channel at a given time the soundwave is reaching its positive peak, while in the other channel that same soundwave is reaching its negative peak. So when played through a stereo-only system when these two waves are launched into the air from the speakers, when they meet--poof!--they cancel each other out. Here's a weird/fun phenomenom: in two different rooms so far, when listening to my system--in plain old stereo--with my head against the wall opposite the front mains, many times I have clearly heard the surround effects on movies (VHS & broadcast) and music. But as soon as I move just a couple inches from that wall, they disappear. Hmmmm.........).
    LJ

17. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Lance,

PL2 also uses the phase information to determine what goes to which speakers, it's just a little more agressive and also doesn't limit the surrounds to a mono, frequency-limited channel. Frankly, I've never heard any music that I thought sounded good in standard ProLogic, because it tends to collapse everything to the center channel. PL2 is much better in this regard.

18. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

"I found stereo lacking and rather "limited" in comparison."
    I agree. I can't listen the stereo anymore. Everytime My son or my wife mucks up the setting I get pissed.
    I'm only human.
    [​IMG]

19. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

"I agree. I can't listen the stereo anymore. Everytime My son or my wife mucks up the setting I get pissed."

Same here, but I'm still with the original prologic until I get my new recevier. Pro Logic II was one of my main reasons to return my minisystem for a receiver.

20. Glenn Mcc

Glenn Mcc Extra

PLII is very weak with music however it is good for TV.

6 Channel stereo rattles the windows is what I use freak!