What's new

Pro Logic and New dvd player (1 Viewer)

Mike Flood

Auditioning
I have a pioneer pro-logic surround sound receiver. I want to get a dvd player to hook up to it. Previously, I run the coax to the back of it from my vcr. I am assuming that it is picking up the surround sound from the video signal. The new dvd player, will it have a compatible signal so that I can still have surround sound? Does the DVD player have a compatible format? Do the dvds have muliple sound sources to choose from? What would be a good dvd player for my receiver?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Definitely! DVDs support DPL...
Hook up your DVD Player using the left and right analog output to the input of your DPL Reciever. The video you can hook up to reciever if it switches, or directly to your TV...
DPL doesnt sound half bad on well-mixed DVDs... I watched the Beach scene of SPR-DTS in DPL, it sounded pretty good, like a poorly-mixed dolby digital soundtrack!
So using the red and white output of your DVD Player, hook that up to the stereo inputs of your DPL reciever.
Also, remember to set the output to ANALOG 2CH or something similar to that nature in your DVD's audio setup menu. And select the dpl soundtrack in the audio options of the DVD itself...
The Coaxial cable from your VCR carries both video and (supposedly) stereo audio in the one cable. Any DVD player will be fine as you are only outputting analog audio. The Composite connection (or Svideo/component if your TV supports it?) will also give much better video than your composite hookup, adding to the much higer resolution of DVD over VHS. DVD's basic format is Dolby Digital, but almost always there is a DPL Track to it. Yes DVDs have multiple sound sources. Some have DTS/DD on one disc, some have different languages. For a good starter, i recommend a Toshiba SD-1750 (or 1720?).
WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :)
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine
[Edited last by NickSo on October 16, 2001 at 09:08 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks