pro. DBS installation advice..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    On Monday morning, the DISHnetwork installers are coming and I'm wondering what I should be aware of and of any advice you can give me. I know where the satellite has to be pointed and I'm got two wiring routes already planned depending on whether the guy can get a good signal from the side of my house or from the roof. (where our existing OTA antenna is and the wiring is already in place) I know where our earth ground is and the best route too it from the garage and I know how the coax from our OTA antenna is wired to the TV room and my bedroom so I think I'm fairly set in terms of knowing what's going to be done. Anything I should be careful of? I know the roof installation is usually an extra fee involved. Is it a two person intallation (one guy at the antenna, another one inside with the signal meter or something). And finally, is it customary to tip the guy(s)?
    Jay

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It sounds like you have good plan. Did you check for splitters on your existing cable?
    It should be a one-man install. They aim the dish without it being connected to the receiver. The installer should have a battery powered satellite finder. He connects it to the dish and it makes a high pitched whine. The higher the pitch the stronger the signal.
    Tipping? That's a tough one. They get paid a flat rate by Dish for a standard install. I would think the extras are up to the installer. My Dishmover install took less than 15 minutes but I already had the wires run. I did lend a hand at one point. Dish would have paid him the same if it had taken an hour so I figured an hours pay for 15 minutes work was enough. No tip. Your situation may be different.
    -Robert