What's new

pro. DBS installation advice.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
On Monday morning, the DISHnetwork installers are coming and I'm wondering what I should be aware of and of any advice you can give me. I know where the satellite has to be pointed and I'm got two wiring routes already planned depending on whether the guy can get a good signal from the side of my house or from the roof. (where our existing OTA antenna is and the wiring is already in place) I know where our earth ground is and the best route too it from the garage and I know how the coax from our OTA antenna is wired to the TV room and my bedroom so I think I'm fairly set in terms of knowing what's going to be done. Anything I should be careful of? I know the roof installation is usually an extra fee involved. Is it a two person intallation (one guy at the antenna, another one inside with the signal meter or something). And finally, is it customary to tip the guy(s)?
Jay

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It sounds like you have good plan. Did you check for splitters on your existing cable?
It should be a one-man install. They aim the dish without it being connected to the receiver. The installer should have a battery powered satellite finder. He connects it to the dish and it makes a high pitched whine. The higher the pitch the stronger the signal.
Tipping? That's a tough one. They get paid a flat rate by Dish for a standard install. I would think the extras are up to the installer. My Dishmover install took less than 15 minutes but I already had the wires run. I did lend a hand at one point. Dish would have paid him the same if it had taken an hour so I figured an hours pay for 15 minutes work was enough. No tip. Your situation may be different.
-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks