What's new

Pro audio amps for Home theater? (1 Viewer)

Billy Gun

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if pro-audio amps could be used in a home theater setup?

What are the differences?

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if pro-audio amps could be used in a home theater setup?

Why not?

THere are good pro amps, and there are ok pro amps, and then there are crappy pro amps.

Lots of pro amps are just that-amps. Not many bells or whistles to them. If you can find a decent amp spec-wise, go for it.

Oh also make sure that the inputs and outputs of the amp are compatible with your equipment(i.e.- if you don't have balanced XLS connectors, and that's all the amp has, don't buy it).

Sam

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I agree! There are many amps used for pro audio that are really really good. QSC, Crown, Crest etc... And they aren't that expensive. I priced 3 QSC RMX 850's (which would give me 6 channels of 200watts) for only $900. And I've heard these amps myself and they sound great to me. Some complain about fan noise but I can't hear them. However, coming from the pro-audio field perhaps I'm just used to it?

To agree with what Sam said, make sure if you choose one that it has compatible connectors. If you don't have XLR and that is all the amp has then you will not be better off. Most amps though have 1/4" inputs that accept balanced AND unbalanced so a simple RCA-1/4" cable would work.

Are you considering buying an amp that is typically used for pro-audio? If so which one?

Curious,

Dan Hine

Danny Owens

Agent
To agree with what Sam said, make sure if you choose one that it has compatible connectors. If you don't have XLR and that is all the amp has then you will not be better off. Most amps though have 1/4" inputs that accept balanced AND unbalanced so a simple RCA-1/4" cable would work.
I respectfully disagree with both of the above statements. There used to be a bit of a problem interfacing the balanced (+4 dbv ) and the consumer level (-10 dbv) components. There are several manufacturers that produce low cost interfaces. These are active units and not passive transformers; so phase shifting problems have been pretty much eliminated. Rane makes a multi input/output unit called a "Balance Buddy". They are designed to both match line level signals and impedence. Pro amps of any configuration is no longer a problem.

The problem that occurs when you use an unbalanced source at -10 dbv is that the signal is pretty much in the low end rail for signal on the pro amp. The result would be a need to increase gain either on the output of the source, or in the amp itself to get the signal to a usable level up in the linear operating range of the amp. By doing that at either the source or the amp, then you will effectivly raise the overall noise floor on your system. Even then, if you raise the gain on the output of the preamp, you may go into clipping on the output stage of the pre-amp; thereby sourcing a square wave to the amp. The amp will reproduce that and send it to your speaker. That's a bad thing.

Danny

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Danny,
Yes but....:)
Then you have one more thing that you have to buy and wire up and you don't gain much (notice I said "much" b/c I do kind of agree with you) since the signal coming from the pre-amp is an unbalanced signal to begin with. Since you can get GREAT amps that have 1/4" inputs I think that is just a better way to go.
Dan Hine

Danny Owens

Agent
Dan,
I see and understand your point. In fact, I was adding the second paragraph in my post while you were posting your reply. The problem is that the consumer level (- 10 dbv ) is in my opinion way to low to wake up the input stage of the amp. It is much (notice I said much :) ) better all around if the signal is at +4 dbv. Just because a signal is unbalanced doesn't mean it is level matched. Balanced simply means that the signal has both the signal, and the inverted signal. The inverted signal is inverted yet again at the input to the balanced component and summed with the + signal. The common noise on both lines is cancelled at the inversion. Un-balanced is just a + signal and a ground. Even then, the pro audio unbalanced level is above that of the consumer level.
I'm not trying to talk down to you because you probably already know this stuff; I'm just covering it to insure that we are all agreeing or disagreeing on the same base of information.
Danny

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I respectfully accept your disagreement. :)
And in fact, I agree with you, but I assume that most consumers won't know the ins and outs of pro audio equipment, impedance matching, and input matching, so I mentioned it.
Sam

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Danny,

I know you're not talking down to me. And in fact I appreciate your input. I did "know" what you are talking about but honestly never really put it all together. Your points have been very valid and I appreciate them! Thanks.

Dan Hine

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, Billy, since the other two resident pro audio soundguys have chimed in, I geuss I should too.
Many people already use pro style amplifiers for their HT subwoofers. If you check the Hardware Archive, there are a few archived posts about budget amplification from the professional arena. Most people will shy away from the Pro stuff, because it is pretty expensive.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26716
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26718
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26717
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26711
I have personally used QSC Powerlights on my SVS sub, and have gotten good results. In addition, I have a set of Ashly FTX-2001 amps (great amps, highly underrated in my opinion) that I will probably use in my HT system, once I have the cash to pick up a pre/pro I'm happy with (I had a Lexicon MC-1 on loan for a while, now I can't settle for anything less!)
As Danny said, you do have an issue of input voltages to contend with- but the majority of home receivers I've played with put out PLENTY of juice to get inputs on a pro amp hopping. Again, I suggest a trip to the hardware archives, there was a whole thread discussing (in "dummies terms") the whole issues of -10db vs. +4db, input sensitivites and what they mean.
As Danny suggested- you shouldn't be running your outputs at +10 or anything (if you have to crank beyond +5 to get ref level out of a decent amp, then you'll need some help- line level shifter like the Balance Buddy).
-Vince
PS: Hey Dan, I changed the R-H in my quote from your sig to Renkus-Heinz, for the uninitiated. :)

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is probably going to put me in the doghouse here...but here goes. First of all, just to state a fact, I own a Pro Audio Company in New Orleans w/ warehouses in Metairie, Lafayette, and Alexandria, La. I own over 50 EAW KF850 boxes w/ SB1000 Subs and a 70 box Klipsch KP-600 Pro System. I use QSC Amps exclusively in my company.

We also do about 2-3 large home theater installs a year. We have been using QSC and Carver amplifiers on installations for years. The reason being is that we have ZERO service calls on these units. As for the input (-10/+4) sensitivity argument...thats null and void. You can order most pro amps with different input sensitivities set at the factory, or in most QSC's you can even set it in the field.

I personally use 3 Carver PM300's in my home theater. They are small (1 rack space), use convection cooling (no fan noise), and offer 1/4", XLR, and terminal inputs on both channels. They are more than what 90% of home theaters would ever use. I feel any and all amps that are used should be chosen by listening to them. They do sound different. The Carvers sound completely different than the QSC's. It all personal taste. If you like the way it sounds, buy it.

A quality installation, with the proper setup should last and serve you well for years. If you're a gadget type and want the latest greatest, then upgrade, please!!! I love it when my clients upgrade...I get some great deals on equipment that comes back to the warehouse...

Respectfully Submitted,

Tim Kilbride

Billy Gun

Stunt Coordinator
OK....

Here is some more backround on where my question is coming from:

I am using Klipsch KLF-30's (102 db effecient.) for my left and right channels.

I am powering them with an Adcom 555 two, which is 200 watts x 2, but I don't like the "Hiss" I hear during completely quiet passeges in movies.

I love the speakers, so I'm considering using something else to power them so the hiss hopefully becomes inaudible.

Please advise........

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

No, the company is The Sound Source. We are also the exclusive Sound/Lighting/AV Provider to the New Orleans Convention Center...

Billy,

Unplug the inputs to you amp, with the amp set at the normal levels...if the hiss goes away, the hiss is coming from another component in your system...if the hiss continues, its your amp. In my experience, the Adcom is a very stable and quiet unit. I would be curious to see if the hiss is coming from the amp.

Tim

Danny Owens

Agent
Tim said:
I am powering them with an Adcom 555 two, which is 200 watts x 2, but I don't like the "Hiss" I hear during completely quiet passeges in movies.
This is exactly why the line matching IS an issue. If you have to drive the gain way up to get a respectable output you will get gate noise (hiss); whether from the source or the amp itself.
Sure amplifiers can be ordered any way you want, but how many are going to order them as opposed to getting a good (meaning cheap) deal; an overwhelming minority I'm sure.
I hear arguments constantly on these forums about small tweaks and other ways to get the best quality sound out of your system. Line level matching is a basic core fundamental in basic electronics; not to mention a common sense approach to maximizing quality audio. It is not just a tweek. A -10 dbv signal being fed to a unit designed for a +4 dbv level input WILL increase the noise floor. It can't get any more basic than that.
I have built and repaired amplifiers from many manufaturers over the years; the sound company that I had worked for was a factory service center for several different manufacturers. I have dealt with this issue hundreds of times in real world applications and it always ends up the same way.
What Tim did mention is that amps can be special ordered from manufacturers with a -10 dbv input. What is the difference? There is another gain stage introduced at the input, or the switch adds another feedback resistor to increase the output of the primary gain stage of the amp; so, apprantly line level matching is still an issue and the manufacturers are adapting their equipment to work with demand. I'm sure that the switch he referred to is to bypass the -10 dbv gain stage when a +4 dbv source is introduced.
I do believe that pro audio could be very good in a HT application; but you do have to do a bit of research on what units you are buying and be aware that there may be some "extras" required to maximize both the useable output and the S/N ratio.
The other thing that you have to ask yourself is: If it isn't an issue, then why do the amp manufacturers bother to include the added gain option on their pro grade amps?
Assuming that we all agree that Rane is an authority on audio, here is a link to the Balance Buddy.
Balance Buddy
They apparantly think that it is a big enough issue to manufacture the device soly for this particular application. There are other links to papers written on the subject that I will add later, right now I'm at the office and I don't have time to list them.
Danny

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
The reason the amp manufacturers offer different inputs is because none of the processing manufacturers (BSS, Klark Tek, Yamaha, XTA) can seem to agree on a standard. Some use Pin 3 hot, some Pin 2...some use .775v = 0db some use 1v = 0db, and so on. In pro audio most line level sources are -10db/.775Vrms, balanced (using summing op amps or transformers to achieve a positive signal). So sending consumer equipment (preamps, etc.) into pro amps will not raise the noise floor, if anything you won't be able to turn your preamp over "4" on the volume control. The preamps are mostly +4/unbalanced. Therefore, if anything, the mismatch would be too much signal to the amps. The correct wiring would be the + wired to the high side of the amp, the - wired to the neg side and ground of the amp. Some of the high end preamps do offer balanced outputs (XLR/-10db), which of course would be no issue whatsoever. I don't personally know of many transformers or magic black boxes that change unbalanced +4db to balanced -10db...you can get +4db to -60db (mic level), which incidentally is not enough signal for the amps. We could go on indefinitely...I do respect your opinion and understand your valid points...I just feel that the consumer manufacturers have a lot more "Smoke and Mirrors" to their marketing plans. The jist of the matter is that 99% of the consumer equipment outputs more than enough signal for 99% of the pro amps...

Thanks again,

Tim K.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The jist of the matter is that 99% of the consumer equipment outputs more than enough signal for 99% of the pro amps...
And this has been my point from the early days.

This balancing issue and -10 vs +4 issue alludes to the concept that preamp units are supplying -10db fixed output, which is not the case. I haven't gottent oo far into dedicated PRE/PRO units, but every receiver with a line Sub out I've played with has been MORE than able to pass the right amount of voltage to get a pro amp hopping.

Even Crown stuff, which I think uses 1.4v input sens, I've been able to get to clip with my Denon at +3 sub 00 vol and playing test tones.

So Denon provides enough voltage from the sub out, I would imagine that most dedicated preamp units would provide plenty of juice without running them wide open.

I think Gregg Loewen runs an Outlaw Pre/Pro with QSC DCA amplifiers- and although I don't know the fixed Input Sens on the DCA, I think he gets ref level at -25 on his master volume knob without boosting any of the channels beyond one or two clicks (heck the sub level is reduced a few clicks)...

-Vince

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Im currently trying out some QSC DCA amps. I like them alot. 215 wpc x 6, 350 wpc x 2 for the mains, and 1200 wpc for the subs. My Sonodome is rocking!!

Issues for me right now are:

1. Fan noise (not really an issue as the amps are in a different room)

2. A little bit of a grounding hum. I just got some Furman Line Conditioners today, and will be running some new 110 20 amp power lines tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix this problem.

Gregg

Almost in HT Nirvana...

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
LOL, I just saw Vince's last post.

Actually Im using a Sony 9ES DD processor for now until the new Outlaw 950 is released (hurry up Outlaw!!). I am well with in my limits for my individual line levels.

Gregg

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Gregg,

I'm curious about the hum you have. Do you have cable hooked up to your system? If so, disconnect the cable and see if it goes away.

As for the topic of this thread. Yes, pro amps can be used in a home theater--and by searching the forum, you will find it is very common indeed--with great results. I have 3 pro amps in my system--QSC DCA amps.

Many good things have been said. But I lean the same way as Vince, in that with my experience, hooking up a receiver or pre-amp/processor with pro amps, have never been an issue with regard to getting enough volume. A benefit you have with pro amps are the gain controls. With proper set-up/calibration, you would be hard pressed to ever clip the amp.

But as I've said before, and for those who are not aware, gain controls are not volume controls. Regardless of where the gains are set, you still have the capability of the full power output of the amp. By having the gains, let say set half way, does not mean you are only getting half the power. You still have full power capability.

By all means, if you want a pro amp in your system, use one. It is always best to purchase gear that will make you happy.

Billy Gun

Stunt Coordinator
Which QSC models are great for home theater?

Are there any other makes/model #'s that are great for theater applications?

The "Level" thing has me confused???

Can someone explain this to me in lamen's terms?

I'm afraid to make a purchase and end up with exessive noise/hiss!!

Please advise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks