Pro audio amp inputs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon B, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Tried this thread over in the conections area, not getting any info.

Soo . . .

If I am running a 2 driver sub off an amp (a crown with both XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced ins), instead of Y-ing the IC, can I run into one channels input (say the XLR) and then treat the other input on that same channel as an output and jumper it to the second channel (1/4" to the other 1/4" in this example)? Or do amps like the crowns lock out the 1/4" ins if something is connected to the XLRs?

Trying to avoid making a Y cable if possible.

BB

2. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I believe the inputs are wired in parallel. I would jumper channel 1 and 2 with the barrier strip, that way you can use regular wire and wouldn't need extra connectors. You might want to reset the input sensitivity to .773v since you will be trying to drive two channels with the line level out from your receiver.

This is from their web site:

"Input Connector (standard module): One Neutrik® Combo connector for each channel which features a balanced ¼-inch (6.35-mm) phone jack and a 3-pin female XLR connector, in parallel with a barrier strip termination."

TedO

3. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Thanks.

Mine are Macrotech amps, which only have the XLR and 1/4", no barrier strip unless you go with a non-standard PIP module.

Plus i've got plenty of TRS connectors for making cables. I bought a whole load of Canare stuff to do so.

Sounds like this will work spiffy.

BB