Pro amp for DIY subs/ more suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to burn up the pstings lately,...but there is such a wealth of experience here, its hard not to "just ask" so to speak.
    I had a problem with a pro amp a couple weeks ago,..come to find out, it was probably just fine. I was not aware of the input voltage issue mating HT gear and pro audio gear. That amp is gone. I am looking to get a replacement. I know a lot of you guys have used these amps to drive DIY subs. Are there some that are better suited for this? Any experinces, good or bad? I want to get the new one coming ASAP. Can't wait to start playing around with the subs on good power...[​IMG]
    Thanks much guys,...>>>--->

2. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

And the winner is for the most threads in a single forum category is....................................
    Kevin Beck with 8...(ooohhh aahhh yaah, the crowd is going wild)
    [​IMG]

3. Kevin Beck

And the point to that was?
    >>>--->

4. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

QSC is my cost/performance effective fave.

GM

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

There are many decent ones offered on Ebay quite often. I like crown, altec lansing, and peavey are ones that I'm familiar with though unfortunately they all have fans that I listened too (crown was a little more flexible because it even had an impedence matching inputs). Another one I've heard quite often at those collosium sales are Pyramid (this must be pretty durable as I remember the exact same amp being used for about 5 shows in a two and a half year period running into 2 ohm loads a channel) and American DJ but unfortunately it's hard to guess the sound quality when pushing bandpass car woofer setups.

6. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Have a look at Carver amps as well. My brother picked up a 500wX2 for about $250 and it is very well-suited for subs.

Craig

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Kevin, there is a search function in the forum, and plenty of amp-related posts can be found in that manner (just a suggestion for now). Here's what I found using "amplifier" in the search feature. Just look around before just firing off a slew of threads on topics covered before, that's all Chris was getting at with his post.
    You may want to start a more consolidated approach to your questions because simply bombarding this area with new threads/questions might just lessen the amount of responses you get. There is a certain level of personal research that's involved with DIY and expected from the membership. [​IMG]

8. CarlDais

CarlDais Stunt Coordinator

{QSC is my cost/performance effective fave.

GM }

Not a bad sub choice kevin....QSC. They are
    used extensivley in "real Movie Theaters".

Greg just recently in a different thread you
    quickly critiqued the published specs of a
    Parasound 2003. If I remember correctly you
    thought it was a good mid-fi amp & suspected
    it was using a good deal of Global feedback.

Out of curiousity, what were the most salient
    spec's (questionable or otherwise)
    which raised your eyebrows.

Asked another way.... what types of numbers
    would you have been looking for?

9. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Ideally? Well, they're beyond our current knowledge of physics/materials/manufacturing technology AFAIK. [​IMG] For HIFI I'll settle for:
    DF 110dB
    S/N >110dB
    1-200k BW +/- 2dB min
    0.1-0.5% THD/rated output

10. CarlDais

CarlDais Stunt Coordinator

11. Kevin Beck

Well guys, Thanks for the input as always,..maybe not so much in the future though,..I realize there have been a lot of questions lately,..but on the other hand, that is how we learn. Pat, I have looked through the archives quite a bit. Every now and then I do find what I'm looking for,..this time I had not. Plenty of amp info, but not any comparisons, or recomendations with reasons attached. I realize consolidation would keep threads at a minimum, but when this is done, the main question is addressed, and the others sometimes get overlooked. I appologise if I have been a little overbearing on the board lately. I tend to dig, untill all is understood. And I do tend to ask more questions than the normal Joe. I don't like to assume.
    >>>--->