What's new

Pro amp advice needed: Which one? QSC, ABI, BGW (1 Viewer)

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Everyone,
I have the opportunity to purchase one of several pro audio amps for my sub, and I would like to ask for some advice.
My sub will be an Earthquake Magma 15, which has a long-term power handling capacity of 500 watts rms (rated conservatively), a nominal impedance of 6.6 ohms, and a one-way linear excursion of 25mm. I will also be using a BFD in the signal path.
I have the opportunity to purchase any one of the following pro audio amps at a very good price (all prices are within $50 of each other):
  • AB International Precedent Series 600LX (good condition) - 750 x 1 rms @ 8 or 4 ohms. I don't know much about this one, but a friend (musician) strongly recommended it. The fan seems loud, and there is no turn-on/turn-off muting.
  • BGW 750C (fair condition) - Approximately 600 x 1 rms @ 8 ohms. Old model (~20 years old), but the build quality seems very good. Supposedly used in many theaters.
  • QSC RMX1450 (mint condition) - 900 x 1 rms @ 8 ohms, 1400 x 1 rms @ 4 ohms. It is a newer model, but I am not sure of the build quality compared to the others. I might consider this one if QSC's extended warranty can be purchased by the second owner.
  • QSC Series One 1400 (good condition) - 600 x 1 rms @ 8 ohms, older model, THX approved for cinema installations.
Any advice you can offer on the pros/cons of each amp would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Chris

BrendanL

Agent
Have you considered the crown ce-2000?

You can get it for about $450 mail order from the woodwind and brasswind.

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I have a QSC amp and I am VERY happy with it. It had a 3 or 5 year warranty (can't remember which) that was transferable between owners. I have never seen any company do that before.

I have an older QSC USA 850.

Greg

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you to everyone who offered their opinion, both here and via email. After doing more research and weighing the advice I have received, I decided to go with the AB (based upon its reputation for reliability and cone control).

Thanks again,

Chris

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Hello Chris,

Congrats on the new amp. Even though you did not purchase a QSC, thought I would answer your questions anyway.

The extended warranty can be transfered to a new owner. Only need to call our tech. service department so the change is officially made. btw, the extended 3 year warranty does not have to be obtained on intial purchase. You can purchase it anytime prior to the original 3 year warranty runs out.

The Series One 1400 model was retired last year, but can be found in the used market. For those who are not aware, the 1400 was the very first THX certified amplifier, and there are still thousands in use today.

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Hello John,

Thank you for the reply. I am actually having second thoughts on the choice of the AB Precedent 600LX, and I may end up returning it for one of the QSC's. The lack of turn-off muting on the AB really bothers me; it passes signals until the power supply has discharged, which is over a minute on shutdown!

Between the Series One 1400 and the RMX 1450, which one would you recommend for driving my sub? Aside from power output, what are the significant differences between these amps? Also, can the warranty be transferred if the seller doesn't have the original sales receipt? The amps are at a consignment shop, and I'm not sure of what paperwork they may have.

Thank you,

Chris

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Chris,

Which amp, the Series One 1400 or the RMX 1450. Tough call. Both would be great to use with a sub. They are very close in power ratings--if bridging, both are 600W at 8 ohms and in stereo they are 200W per channel at 8 ohms--S/N is the same, etc.

The RMX 1450 has filters and clip limiters if you choose to use them, where the 1400 does not. If size makes a difference the 1400 is taller (3 RU or 5.25") but less deep(only 9.5") than the 1450 (2 RU high or 3.50" and 16" deep). Other differences would include input and output connectors and power cord. The RMX has three input connector options (XLR, 1/4", or barrier strip) while the 1400 has two (XLR or barrier strip). As for outputs, the 1450 has binding posts or Speakon connectors and the 1400 has only binding post. As for the power cord, the 1400 is attached and the 1450 has a IEC detachable cord.

It would seem your choice would depend on the warranty issue you have with the 1400. And as for the warranty, yes it can be be transferred without original receipt, you just have to contact our tech. service dept. and give them all information required. But if the amp is older than the original 3 year period, no warranty will apply. If you can get the serial number I can tell you if the 1400 in question would still have warranty left on it.

The RMX on the other hand will have warranty, new or used, due to it being one of our newest amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks