PRO-530HD Calibration with Avia

Discussion in 'Displays' started by josephT, Oct 15, 2003.

1. josephT

josephT Auditioning

I'm new to HDTV and just recently purchased the Pioneer Elite Pro-530HD. I've been attempting to calibrate it with Avia, but I'm really getting some weird settings. From what I've read on this forum, it is recommended that contrast and brightness be at least 1/3, but when I calibrate these attributes I get something closer to the middle; however, my setting are in the negatives, it just isn't by much ( -3, -6, etc.) Also, my color setting is somewhere in between 4-6. Are my settings any where close to anybody's. Also, when it came to adjusted black levels, I could not for the life of me see that shifting black boxes; the only time I saw them distinctly was when I jacked up the black level to the extreme. I didn't have this much trouble configuring my old Sony 32 wega. I'm almost tempted to use the "ref theater" setting on the TV.

Lastly, when viewing anamorphic DVDs on this monitor is it recommended to view on the full setting mode? It wasn't really covered in the manual.

Thanks!

2. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Joseph,

In terms of your calibration with Avia. Check to make sure that your DVD Player is also setup properly, if you have a menu that allows you to switch between when black is set is to the "darker," "0 IRE" setting or the like if you are using component video. If you are using S-video or Composite video make sure that it is in the "Lighter" or "7.5IRE" setting. This could be affecting your brightness.

Keep in mind that everyone's set acts different and the settings that one person achieve will not necessarily be the same settings that you will achieve.

When viewing anamorphic DVDs use the Full mode on the set.

Regards,

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter