What's new

Privileged - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show actually has a bit of "The O.C." vibe, though Michael Cassidy doesn't help (though he was also on "The O.C."). Won't comment on Sage's photo-shoot attire, you never know if Chris Hansen's reading threads...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'm not too crazy about the brown hair on Joanna Garcia, liked her better as a blonde, but I can understand wanting to appear more "smart" given her character's educational background.

I did like how they handled the capriciousness of the rich and being employed by them can be a precarious position.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not having watched The OC, I wound up tuning in because I heard it being compared to Gilmore Girls. A fair comparison, and I do get Rory vibes off Sage, which is no bad thing. I'm sort of surprised it took CW a year to find a Gilmore surrogate, but it certainly looks watchable enough for the next couple weeks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While it's a female-laden cast, I am not sure it's all that close to "Gilmore Girls" but I've heard it being referred to as such, but I just don't quite see a lot of similarities yet, but am willing to keep checking it out, just because its pilot was actually better written than the new 90210 show (but that's not saying much, beside damning with faint praise).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having seen 2 episodes of "Privileged" and 3 of "90210", the CW's best Tuesday night show is "Privileged" simply from the writing and cast (who can actually act and deliver dialogue without setting off my "amatuer thespian radar". "Privileged" proves that you can have teen hijinks, but written with more snap and flair, and not have the show feel dumbed down with a "after-school special's morality at play" vibe (a la "90210").

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Another entertaining episode featuring gradual character development, where life lessons are embraced by not only the tutored, but by the tutor.

It must be work to be popular amongst the privileged, but it doesn't mean money and influence always paves the path of ill-gotten educational achievement and status.

While it's not a true Gilmore Girls clone, it does fill, somewhat, the void of well-scripted and well-acted light dramedies for me. And given what the new TV season has shown us so far, "Privileged" remains a bright spot on the TV viewing schedule.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I try not to compare this to Gilmore Girls, but how am I expected to not do so when the centerpiece of the episode is a family dinner that starts out kind of funny but ends in horribly hurt feelings?

The show continues to impress, though. What's amazing to me is just how much I find myself interested by and even liking Sage and Lily, even though their less sterling qualities are almost always on display.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm still watching it, I still like it for the amount of character build-up and performances by the cast overall.

The parallels between the 2 sets of sisters is striking in being almost diametrically opposed dynamics: Sage is very supportive and protective of Rose, while being ambitious and smart and Rose is far more accomodating to avoid hurt feelings, while Lily has a need for attention (perhaps abandonment issues and a drunk father), but goes about it the wrong way and ends up disappointing Megan, who herself has high standards, but isn't willing to accept Lily for who she is, or find middle-ground between them from a long history of deception and being undermined (which are just symptoms, not the root cause of her behavior).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
So what's going on?? I hear the season finale is tonight; it's only February! Has the show been cancelled or is it coming back next season?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
They only filmed 16 episodes this season. No one knows if the show will be back, the ratings aren't that good, but it's breezy viewing.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They went the few-reruns route and only ordered 18 episodes instead of 22. As to whether it's coming back, that decision won't be made until May, when the network has a chance to look over its new pilots and see what the status of its other shows are. Even if the short order isn't exactly a good sign, it's still way too early to know about next year.

I hope it makes it back; this is a darn good show that seemed to get lost in the shuffle this year.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This is one of those shows I'm really on the fence about. It's a bit like "Gossip Girl" without the teeth (and lower quality acting). But the girls are hot, and some of the storylines are interesting. This is a show that if cancelled, I won't really miss it. If it sticks around, I'll leave it on the DVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks