What's new

Private School starring Phoebe Cates coming Nov 23rd (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Although the film had a lot of the music changed for video, including the theme song being removed. It has been playing on cable this past month.

The edited TV print is the most complete, with the original music and extra scenes (which I would guess aren't on the DVD).

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Nope, no reason was given at the time. It was going to be part of the November Studio Selections I think but was pulled.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Maybe they're looking into getting extra features for the disc?

Too bad...I was looking to pick this up. I can wait, though.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And we all know that "Private School" has the only on-screen nudity by 80s babe Kathleen Wilhoite.

EDIT: I spelled "nudity" wrong. DUH! I AM SO SMART, I AM, I AM! DUH!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
what i've heard is, it was pulled and will be released in March, on a double feature disc with Fast Times... under the banner of the Phoebe Cates Kleenex Collection

Dave Farley

Second Unit

I saw it on Encore recently, and it seemed like all the original music, including the theme song, was there.

They need to release Mischief as well. That's the one movie in my collection that I would rather have in open matte than widescreen.;)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

The song "Your daddy must have been a fool, to send you to a Priiiiiivate schooooool, for girls" wasn't on the recent Encore showing that I saw. It hasn't been on any showings since the edited versions shown on commercial TV. It was replaced with the song sung by Phoebe Cates.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I thought it was the same theme song I remember from the 1980's cable airings? I take it there was a different song originally or I'm just not remembering correctly from those days.

I did hear the original songs in the Encore airings. Stray Cats, Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs, Rick Springfield, Vanity, etc.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Yes, those songs are the same(and interesting trivia note, Paula Abdul choreographed the workout scene to the Rick Springfield song) but for some reason, the title theme song has been changed.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Jon,

Who's the artist on this tune? There is a song that plays in the dance scene and then as Jim and Chrissie approach the hotel, sung by Bill Wray, that goes something like, "Going to a private school, going to a private school..." Is this a different song? He also duets with Phoebe Cates on "Just One Touch" and sings "She Said No."

I thought that Harry Nilsson's "You're Breaking My Heart" always played under the opening credits. Is this not the case?

One song, listed on IMDb, which I cannot locate in the video version of the film is "Da Da Da". This title got some renewed notoriety when it was used in a VW ad--German car, German pop tune...makes for some nice symmetry.

-Jon

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I noticed this on the recent Encore airing, it plays toward the end in a scene in one of the dorm rooms.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Jon,

I think I've figured out the issue..."Private School" was placed during the opening credits, for the tv version, because of the profanity-laced lyrics of the Nilsson tune. I would guess that the Encore showing is the original theatrical cut, with regards to music and content.

What do the extra scenes of the tv version feature?

-Jon

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

While I haven't seen it in a while, like many Universal 80's films (FAST TIMES, THE BREAKFAST CLUB) they used a lot of deleted scenes to fill up the run time.

One sequence I do remember, the scene with Matthew Modine in drag in Betsy Russell's room is a couple minutes longer in the TV version. I always found that funny since the TV version has Russell dancing around in her underwear in front of Modine longer than the video version. You'd think that is something that would have been more explicit on the cable version, not the other way around.

John*P

Second Unit
The "Your daddy must've been a fool to send you to a Priiiiivate Schoooool" song was intact when I saw the movie on TNT early this year. I'm bummed that the DVD is being delayed, I was hoping I'd finally get to see the movie uncensored. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks