What's new

Private Parts, any chance of a re-release? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But isn't that a lot of the guy's appeal - he's so firmly in his own world and does what he wants without thoughts of the ramifications? Along with that comes self-absorption, at least in his case - I'm sure some of his egomania is schtick, but there's always a basis in reality for that kind of thing...

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Well my point about him being self absorbed, was too point out that it wouldnt be out of character for Stern to hold up the release for a larger share of the profit.

I hope this movie gets the treatment it deserves, but at the same time I really can't stand Stern these days and if he is causing a problem with the dvd release, it only adds to my dislike of him. Lately he seems to have gotten really bad. I used to think he was obnoxious, but still kind of likeable, now he is just a jackass.

On a side note one of my buddies who is a struggling actor said Stern came to the bday party of the owner of the restaurant he works at in manhattan, and he said he came across as one of the bigger assholes that comes into the place.

Rob T

Screenwriter

He probably just blew off your friend or something like that.
I've read tons of reports of Howard sightings at parties, concerts, etc. that said he was very nice and polite.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

This is the problem with being a celebrity - you're not allowed to have a bad day. Any time you act less than 100% genial with a person, it gets repeated and amplified. Sure, some celebrities ARE jerks, and I don't mention this to argue that Stern isn't - I have no idea. But I've always thought celebrities got the shaft in that they always have to be nice or they suffer more negative consequences than average folks...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think we're getting into semantics about "self-absorbed". I don't see holding out for money as self-absorbed at all - greedy, yes, self-absorbed, no...

Benson R

Supporting Actor
My friend really didnt have anything against stern, in fact I pressed him about it when he mentioned he came in and directly asked him if he was an asshole.

My friend was not blown off by Stern, he is an employee and is under strict guidelines to not socialize with celebrities. He merely said he was at a private party and noticeably not a social guest and did not say hi or happy birthday to the owner whose party it was.

My comments about him being self aborbed mostly come from listening to his show and him talking about what he did at a party or social function. Whether or not in real life he is an asshole is up for debate, however he certainly willingly portrays himself as one.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Good discussion here. Nevertheless, if an SE were to come out, I would gladly double dip...even to just get a 16x9 transfer.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I wasn't going to add to this thread... I grew up listening to Howard and felt quite close to him, as a listener who was involved in radio and all that, until he divorced his wife. I felt that sort of went against a lot of the things he had said in the previous 20 years, and sort of knocked him right off his moral plateau (how do you make fun of Larry King, when you just joined him?).

Anyhow, it always struck me that PP was a love story about him and Alison, from him to Alison. Maybe that story just isn't relevant to him anymore. (I wouldn't know -- I stopped listening cold turkey the Monday he annouced his divorce.)

Plus, I miss Jackie.

MC

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Jackie was great, but Artie is WAAAY funnier imo.:laugh:

Rob T

Screenwriter
Larry King keeps on going back to the altar for more punishment. Howard has realized that he doesn't want to get married ever again.
Howard has not really joined him at all.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well, people do get divorced, even Howard, and even though you say things about your relationships, you never know when things might change. For me, it was Howard's persona after he got divorced that changed my perceptions of him. Part of the reason for his appeal was that he related to the everyman because at the end of the day he was just an everyman himself who went home to his wife and kids. After his divorce he started partying all the time as well as dating models, actresses, playmates etc. What is even more irksome about all that is that he won't reveal very many details about that part of his life. Truly, it is no one's business but his own, but he has always imposed an honestly policy on his show (the only people in his life that weren't fair game were his children) and he always probes his guests for details on their sex lives. On top of this, he has become virtually no different from all the other Hollywood hotshots out there. He can do whatever he wants, but I think it cost him some respect from some of his audience.

I don't think Howard has anything against the idea of an SE of Private Parts dispite the fact that he is no longer married to Alison. I know there is no proof of some of the ideas here, but I do not completely disbelieve that part of the problem might be due to prohibitive financial demands from Howard. Howard, through most of his modern career, has been consumed with his empire. This obsession cost him his marraige and, as he claims, half of his money. And of course, Howard uses the same tactics as many others in show business to squeeze more money out of his employers. For at least the last 10 years he has always made threats that he is going to retire from radio as soon as his then-current contract expired. He just might believe that for anything he has creatively contributed to, he deserves the biggest piece of the pie. Every so often, someone asks about the release of his old WWOR show. All he ever explains is that WWOR won't let it out of the vaults and gives no other details. Why? What good is it doing just sitting around. Perhaps they are in a stalemate over money. Howard also developed a massive ego. Anyone else who dares tell a dick joke over the airwaves is "ripping him off" or is a "Howard Stern clone" When Opie and Anthony started making a name for themselves in New York, Howard refused to mention them by name on the air (and may have even dumped out of callers who did). And when O&A stated being critical of him, Stern ran to Mel and had them barred from talking about him on the air. He is no different from the way he always complained about how Imus treated him during his older days at WNBC. Watch your own movie, Guy!

I still like listening to Howard's show, although in the last six months or so, listening to it has become just as excruciating as it is amusing for reasons that shant be discussed here.

As for Jackie, I miss him as well. Artie might technically be funnier but the whole fun of having Jackie on the show was because of the way that the others would rip on him for hours on end in their high pitched Jackie impersonation voices. Also, Artie has actually become borderline disturbing in regards to his apparent chronic alcohol abuse.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Wow I think that summed up exactly my thoughts. I think whats also funny is that his show is becomming so boring of late that I keep flipping over to Imus, and often just leave it there when Howard is on the same rant for 20 min.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks