What's new

Private or No Caller ID? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't understand the philosophy behind allowing someone to call me and hide their phone number and identify. Someone is allowed to call me and hide who they are until I answer. If someone comes to my door, at least I can look out the window and see them before opening the door.

If they don't want to give up their phone number (though obviously they have mine) then their name should be revealed on my caller id. Why should the caller be allowed to intrude on my privacy without first identifying themselves?

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I will give you one example. My wife is a Physician and is on call the majority of the time she is not in the office. When she returns calls to patients from home she does not want her patients having her home phone number or her cell phone number.

The vast majority of her patients would respect her privacy at home. The few that would not or the drug seekers do not need our number. That is the purpose of her answering service.

It would be great if the system could allow the name to show, but not the phone number.

It is like most things in this world - there are a few out there who screw it up for the rest of us. As with everything it is the 1% or 2% who do not understand simple courtesy or do not act with general kindness to others who screw it up for the rest of us...

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Another example is when people are calling from someone else's phone they may not want that person's or business's name and number to be displayed.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
When caller ID came around, I remember one of the justifications for blocking it was for calls placed from domestic violence shelters. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but it is certainly a very limited situation.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

But you don't have to answer. If I receive a call with a private/blocked number, I don't answer. Let it go to the answering machine.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not long ago, you didn't see anyone's phone numbers when they called (before caller ID). How did you get by then?

As Bryan notes, no one forces you to answer the phone.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Why should the caller be allowed to intrude on my privacy without first identifying themselves?

Exactly how does calling you intrude on your privacy?

Tapping your phone or giving out your info would affect your privacy, but just calling you?

As already stated, the first 100 years or so that phones existed, you didn't know who was calling until you answered.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I really think you are over reacting to the situation.

Check with your phone provider since many provide a feature that blocks incoming calls from private callers. The caller gets a message that the number doesn't accept private calls and instructions on how to unblock the number if they want to call again.

Oh and here is a tip for everyone, when you call a toll free number the private function does not work. The reasoning is that since the toll free number owner is paying for the call they have a right to know who is calling.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, first of all, I was just grousing over the situation and not loudly shouting. I admit the level of reaction is sometimes difficult to guage in a thread.

There have been good reasons given for having private calls, and I don't disagree with those given. I can accept those, but I don't accept the "it was that way before caller id" reason. As technology changes so do expectations.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You say "If someone comes to my door, at least I can look out the window and see them before opening the door." Well what if you look out the window and you see someone you've never seen before? Same difference with the caller ID.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I do concede there is some need for private numbers. I don't think your analogy applies. If I can look out the window and see someone I don't know, I usually get some information. It's usually obvious if the person wants to sell me something or is taking a survey or something like that. There is some information. On a blocked phone number there is none.

I concede that the needs of the few (or the many), outweigh the needs of a crotchety old man:)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It comes down to many people feel the need to answer the phone when it rings. If it's a private/blocked number, don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a message.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm guilty a lot of times too, although I'm getting better. For example, I have finally gotten to the point if I'm busy, I just don't pick up.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
If I see the Prompt "Unknown Caller", "Out of Area Call", Private Caller" "Toll-Free Number" or an Area Code that I do not recognise as being one where I know someone I do what I call "The Two-Fingered Salute". I pick up the receiver, then press, in rapid succession "Talk" & "End"! :laugh:

I have better thing to do than listen to a Telemarketer's Pitch.

In the days before the Florida Primary I received so many calls from Politicion's "Robo=Calls" I took my phone off the hook so I could have PEACE AND QUIET! I will probably do the same this Autumn!

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I never answer the phone in my house - I leave that to the "trunk monkeys" aka my kids to handle. I tend to agree with Johhny's initial point but do see that there are reasonable circumstances for this. I just think that the occurence of the unreasonable ones far outweighs the reasonable cases......which puts me in the "crotchety old man" club!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Welcome to the club...except I'd never be a member of a club that'd have me for a member:) With apologies to Groucho.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
We get our TV, Internet & phone through the same company. One of the cool features is the caller id shows up in the upper right corner of the TV. This way when watching a show and the phone rings, we can tell who it is and decide if it is worth answering.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm not getting our services that way, but my DTV HR20 does the same thing and displays the caller id on our tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks