What's new

Private airplane crashes into apartment building across the street from me. (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Never a dull moment in LA.
I think our stste has had a pretty bad streak of luck lately.
I think Boils are the only plague/disaster we escaped....Back to the Bomb shelter
On the bright side...a good excuse to start drinking (hehehe then we can start the nasty political threads as jack is passed out at his keyboard)
Remember!
Duck and Cover!!!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I work on Wilshire in the Miracle Mile area and I'd heard around the office that something happened concerning a plane crash. That was a little before 6pm. When I was leaving the building for the weekend I could see a bunch of helicopters towards the Fairfax area so I obviously knew where the incident occured. I headed to West LA to go to a friend's place and we watched the news reports. Later we went to another friend's place avoiding the Fairfax area along the way and we saw the video of the plane coming down. From what I could see that sucker didn't spiral, it came straight down nose first hard and fast.

Anyway, good to know you made it alright Jack Briggs and yeah L.A. the capital of adventure! It's not a city- it's a movie waiting to happen and most of us here are extras.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Glad you're ok!

I bet next time you see Flash Gordon (beginning bit with plane), Fearless or any other films like that, you'll have a WAY different perspective!

As someone who hates flying and witnessed the Trade Center tragedy live from 4 blks. away, I know you must be feeling pretty freaked now.

Take care, dude! Pet Atilla for us.

:) D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jack,

Earlier in the morning, a reporter with the Times asked if I could get her access to the vacated apartment above me, but I couldn't. We talked shop for a while, and I went back inside.
And, hmm, your own apartment?

Cees

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Correct. The official death count is now at five, with the fifth body having been discovered on Sunday. Of course, in my philosophy, the death count is seven: those two cats.

Cees, the Times reporter wanted access to the vacated apartment directly above me. And for what? Just to see for herself the gruesome goings-on. It was, in a strange way, gratifying to know I had the "best" view of anybody short of the emergency crews.

The local media continued to play on the emotionalism last night. A makeshift memorial, consisting of candles and flowers, had been set up on the northwest corner of Spaulding and Clinton late yesterday afternoon. And so the local "news" crews parked their vans in front of my entire apartment (I was the one most affected by the noise of all those generators). The microwave towers sprung up like mushrooms, and, with typical disregard for the area residents who have gone through enough already, the local "news" actors and actresses did their human-interest schtick well into the evening.

(I did enjoy taking a tour of the Fox van and getting a gander at the equipment; those monitors in the van are very well calibrated.)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I saw it on Sky News over here, I think one guy jumped off the roof, makes me wonder what I would do, jump or wait for the flames?
My wife and I were recently in Halifax to visit her sister and have a mini-vacation. We met some of my sister-in-law's friends. I was horrified to hear the other night that two of them were in the hospital because their apartment building was struck by lightning at four in the morning and caught fire. They woke up to find the place ablaze, and made the decision to jump from the fourth floor; he broke his heel, she broke her femur.

Thankfully, they're going to be fine. They've lost everything they own.

Jack, I'm glad to hear that you're okay.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Jack:

Something like this is nearly impossible for most folks to relate to. We are all glad to hear that you are safe and secure. If there is anything you need you know you only need mention it. Your posts are fascinating and your insight appreciated. Something like that can be disconcerting at least and you are handling it with finesse.

Meanwhile, I suspect you may still be in shock since you missed Cees not-so-subtle innuendo....

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Jack, glad you are OK. I would have been scared by the 12 helicopters above. How do they deconflict that hoard? Don't they ever crash? Seems like an accident waiting to happen...

Dan

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Just found this picture of the crash on the Los Angeles Daily News' website in their "Pictures of the Month - June"... (that's the propeller sticking out of the wreckage)

By the way Jack, you never did give up the dirt on the news crew!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks