Prisoner Of 2nd Avenue, The Late Show, Going In Style -3/30!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

also Sunshine Boys.

is the Late Show the Lily Tomlin, Art Carney film?

can't wait for Prisoner, and GIS is a nice surprise as well.

is my wallet ever gonna get a rest?

2. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Very good news indeed. I too, am a little surprised at the Going in Style announcement. I guess they figured it would fit well with the other ones. I'm glad they did. It's a different and entertaining film. Albeit a slighty disturbing one. The Sunshing Boys and The Prisoner of Second Avenue are two of my favorite movies. Looks like I better enjoy this little Christmas respite that we'll be getting after next week as far as big releases go. My wallet needs a rest too.

Also, according to IMDB, The Late Show is indeed a Lily Tomlin, Art Carney film. I've never seen it. I imagine that one will be a back-burner purchase for me.I can't buy 'em all!

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Here is the link from Digitalbits that talks about these releases.

Crawdaddy

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

5. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

6. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

This is great news. I love "Sunshine Boys" but have only seen badly faded cropped prints on television. I wonder if any footage of Jack Benny (in the role taken over by George Burns after the former's death) still exists or even if any was ever shot. I don't know if filming had commenced by the time Mr. Benny died on Christmas 1974.

"The Late Show" was one of Art Carney's best. I'm glad to see it's coming out.

"Going in Style" is an absolute treat. Burns was excellent in this. Carney again was playing someone much older than he really was. Lee Stasberg didn't seem to have a whole lot to do in this.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Enterrrrrrrrrr!

8. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Scott David

Scott David Stunt Coordinator

I love Going In Style, one of most underrated gems of the '70's. I wonder if Art Carney's recent passing had to do with that and The Late Show finally getting released on DVD. Does anyone know if Harry and Tonto is also scheduled for a DVD release next year (Fox owns that one, I think)?

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

some interesting extras i've heard for these titles.
    all of them seem to have clips from the Dinah Shore talk show, with one or more of the cast members (plugging it i would assume).
    in addition, POSA is supposed to have a making of featurette,
    and Sunshine Boys has several more extras.

i like the idea of vintage talk show clips.
    never seen SB or TLS, but i'm thinking all 4 of these are going to be must buys.
    can't wait!

11. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

For those interested, I'll post the cut & pasted attachment I received from WB yesterday regarding these releases.

Herb.

----------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Sunshine Boys, The Prisoner of Second Avenue,
    The Late Show and Going in Style
    Debut on DVD March 30

Comedy Greats George Burns, Walter Matthau, Art Carney, Jack Lemmon, Lily Tomlin and Anne Bancroft Star in Four Classic Comedies with
    All-Star Special Features

Burbank, Calif., December 8, 2003 – Comedy legends George Burns, Walter Matthau, Art Carney, Jack Lemmon, Lily Tomlin and Anne Bancroft star in four classic comedies debuting on DVD March 30, from Warner Home Video (WHV). Neil Simon’s The Sunshine Boys and The Prisoner of Second Avenue; Going in Style, written and directed by Martin Brest (Beverly Hills Cop, Midnight Run, Scent of a Woman) and The Late Show, written and directed by Robert Benton (The Human Stain, Kramer vs. Kramer) will arrive in widescreen DVDs boasting special features that include delightful TV guest appearances on the legendary Dinah Shore TV show and newly discovered screen tests of Walter Matthau and Jack Benny. All will be priced at $19.98 SRP.

The Sunshine Boys and The Prisoner of Second Avenue are two quintessential New York comedies from Neil Simon, one of America’s most prolific award-winning playwrights. Best known for his colorful characters and dialogue in both stage and screen versions of comedies like The Odd Couple, Goodbye Girl and Plaza Suite, Simon cut his writing teeth during the Golden Age of television on Sid Caesar’s “Your Show of Shows” and “Caesar’s Hour” (working with colleagues Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Larry Gelbart and others). Leonard Maltin says Simon’s plays, “offer some of the biggest laugh-lines in Broadway history.”

The Sunshine Boys stars Walter Matthau and George Burns as two cranky ex-vaudevillians persuaded to reunite for a TV special after years of not speaking to each other. Originally a successful Simon Broadway play, The Sunshine Boys won three Golden Globe® Awards for Best Comedy, Best Comedy Actor for star Walter Matthau and Best Supporting Actor for Richard Benjamin, as well as an Academy Award® for George Burns as Best Supporting Actor. “The screen tests are a real find, especially of Jack Benny who was originally cast opposite George Burns but who died shortly before film production began,” notes Mike Radiloff WHV’s vice president of theatrical catalog marketing.

Special Features include:
    •Commentary by Richard Benjamin
    •Make-up and Screen tests of Jack Benny, Walter Matthau and Phil Silvers
    •Behind-the-scenes footage

[more]

Jack Lemmon and Anne Bancroft star in The Prisoner of Second Avenue as Mel and Edna Edison, a Manhattan couple whose lives are thrown for a loop when their roles are reversed by Mel’s sudden unemployment. The film includes notable cameos from Sylvester Stallone as a young man in the park and F. Murray Abraham as a nervous taxi driver.

•Making-of featurette
    •Anne Bancroft on Dinah!

The Late Show, an homage to the detective flicks of the 1940s, stars Art Carney as an aging Los Angeles detective -- not as hard-boiled as he used to be -- and pairs him “odd couple” style with the very funny and quirky Lily Tomlin. The result is pure entertainment and a treat for fans of the Phillip Marlowe and Sam Spade genre. Robert Benton, who also directed, was nominated for an Oscar for this original screenplay.
    •Lily Tomlin on Dinah!

Going in Style -- George Burns, Art Carney and Lee Strasberg star as three retirees in Queens, New York who decide to relieve their boredom and “go out in style” by robbing a bank. Martin Brest wrote and directed this offbeat comedic gem.
    •George Burns and Art Carney on Dinah!

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Have only seen The Sunshine Boys and
    The Prisoner of Second Avenue. Both are
    absolute gems.

The Sunshine Boys brings back the warmest
    memories for me as I was 12 years old when it had
    its play at the Radio City Music Hall, complete
    with Christmas stage show.

I think I first saw The Prisoner of Second
    Avenue
    on VHS back in 1980. I have the original
    VHS tape in an oversized Warner cardboard box that
    had never again been duplicated. It was the very
    FIRST time I saw Jack Lemmon in anything. It was
    that film made me a die-hard fan of his.

These are both top-rate comedies, and I highly
    recommend that you give them a look.

13. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

I asked: