What's new

Prison Break ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hmmm I must have got the censored version - no gore when we watched it.

One revengeful inmate taken care of. I hope Sucre returns - I like that character.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I really want to like this show, but so far it's been very predictable, and many of the scenes really have me struggling to suspend my disbelief.

I did like the twist with the new roommate, but I don't think we've seen the last of Sucre. I'll bet something happens soon with his fiancee that makes him change his mind about escaping.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
What John said.

I am enjoying seeing Evil Secret Service Guy played by the actor who did such a goofy comic role in "Intolerable Cruelty". I didn't even recognize him until my wife pointed him out.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
As long as he doesn't fly to close to the sun, he should be ok.;)

Anyways, I bet his new crazy cellie (sp?) will help with the digging, but I still think Sucre will rat him out.
Looking forward to next week and I'm glad the fall season is starting.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I thought the point was so that when the other government guy switches sides later in the season, we won't think it's coming out of left field.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
This show really does remind me of an FX style drama more then anything else on FOX. Personally I'm all for the way they portray violence, although it does surprise the hell out of me that they're showing people's head splatter in it's current time slot. Very bold move by FOX.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
New to the thread, I just read it all this morning.

I watched the pilot(s) on their 'encore' showing and DVRed eppy #3 and watched it last night. First off, I'm into it, it's pretty cool (you're right, as long as you can suspend some logical thinking).

I have two questions:

1) Can anyone tell me if there is ANY medical condition that would lead to somebody not EVER sleeping? That sounds completely ludicrous. Let me know. (I know, suspend beliefe, but it really takes me out of the moment).

2) Did anyone else hear Lincolns sons swear when in the office with who I assumed was a social services person (that assigned him to the scared straight program)? It sounded like they were talking about his mothers new husband and he said "oh, you mean the guy she f**ks?" Since it was on the DVR and it's almost like watching a movie I didn't catch it for a minute then I rewound and listened again and I'll be darned if he didn't say it. Am I dreaming? Somebody please ring in on this. It's in the first fifteen minutes of the latest episode. Thanks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a doctor but maybe that guy was over exaggerating. Maybe the condition exists and you would barely sleep but for the sake of the show (and just making it easy without a long explanation), they just said he doesn't sleep.

And there's no way anyone said 'F--k' on network television. The not sleeping condition is more possible:)

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I didn't like this weeks episode as much as the first two but it's still a pretty good show. The scene with the guy on death row and his son, and pretty much all the scenes with the woman lawyer just seemed drawn out and not up to par with the rest of the show.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Mystery writer Lawrence Block has a series of books about a man named Evan Tanner who cannot sleep. The "sleep center" of his brain was destroyed by a piece of shrapnel during the Korean War and left him with a rare condition in which he does not require REM sleep to function. Part of the fun of the series is how Tanner handles all that extra time he finds himself saddled with. (Think how many extra movies or TV boxed sets you could get through if it weren't for that pesky sleeping thing - or how much extra money you could make working two full time jobs. :))

Block says that the condition is real and that he got the idea for Tanner from a newspaper article about a man who didn't sleep and the accident that caused his condition. According to an area devoted to insomnia on the website of a college in Singapore there have been a handful of real cases reported:

This condision is so rare that there are only 3 to 4 people known in the world at present known to suffer from [it]. An example is a case of a man from San Francisco [reported] in 1986. He had not slept since World War 2. Taking sleeping pills only gave him a slight drowsiness.

I also seem to recall runnning across references to this being a real but incredibly rare affliction, but am having trouble finding any definite information with dates, times, names and comments from medical staff who have witnesses the condition, so it may all be an urban legend. But the idea that this is possible and maybe real has been floating around for some time, so the writers didn't make it up out of whole cloth, and there may be something to it.

Regards,

Joe

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
That condition sounds like a good thing to me, though I assume there are some consequences to not sleeping. Does anyone know what they are?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i think the show is watchable/followable but the 2-dimensionality of the lead is beginning to wear thin. there was that short instant where he cried in the medical ward that i thought was pretty good.

so his brother gets executed in a month (same time that Fibinaci tesitifes?) does that mean each show in this series is approx. 1 day? either that or the planned breakout happens mid way in the series and continues from there... maybe the brother gets a temporary pardon/delay?

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Well in the second episode they referenced something in the first episode and said it had been a week. So maybe the passage of time will vary.

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
Adam, I will second hearing f**k. I didn't see it when it aired (I saw it...let's just say I saw it) and I thought, no way, went back and I was pretty sure that's what he said, glad I wasn't the only one. I don't know about some of the other things but I saw the asses in ep. 1 where as others say they saw boxers. Are there different edits of this thing airing in different places? I have to watch a show when it actually airs and then compare it to my other source (I live in the bible belt so my guess is we got boxers).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Fox isn't going to let Prison Break get their broadcasting license revoked or at least cost them millions of dollars. The FCC could put Fox out of business if they played a show at 9 PM that said 'f--k'. It'd be one thing if it was a live event but knowingly playing that would be the financial ruin of the network.

As for the boxers, I heard that copies of the pilot that went to critics had nudity but once again with the FCC crackdown, I doubt it played anywhere in that version.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The social worker wasn't talking about the kid's step-father, she was talking about Lincoln, his biological father. And the kid said, "Oh, you mean the guy in Fox River?" His mother then explains that the boy refuses to call Linc his father.

Bare butts have really not been an issue after 9 PM on network TV since NYPD Blue, but Fox is certainly not going to drop the F-bomb on any primetime series - nor would their individual stations and network affiliates stand for it if they tried. The FCC could go after each station's license individually. No affiliate is going to allow its network to put its license at risk. A TV station can always go independent or (in much of the country) switch networks. But it can't do anything if it is out of business, and that's just where losing its license would put it. For just that reason no network would put an affiliate in tha position. There aren't two versions of the show, but people sure are hearing and seeing wildly different things. :)

I went through the shooting mentioned above frame-by-frame - there is a bare suggestion of something moving in the right side of the frame a spilt second before the sound of a gunshot, then a quick cut to the falling body. The shot is like the shower scene in Psycho, you can end up thinking you've seen a lot more than you do.

Guys with tan lines in the back of a shot and slightly out of focus are pretty much indistinguishable from guys in white briefs, so who knows in any given shot which we're seeing. I've never looked that closely, myself. :)

"Fox", not "f***s"

:)

Regards,

Joe

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

Not that has any bearing on the truth of the condition, but wasn't there an X-Files episode about Vietnam veterans who hadn't slept for decades?

I'm assuming that the breakout will come halfway or three-quarters through the season, but I wonder how long they can stretch out the show after resolving the central idea. It's not like this is Lost, which isn't predicated on a specific end result.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yes, an elite combat who underwent experimental brain surgery during the war to remove the need for sleep and make them more effective on deep-penetration missions. (And less vulnerable to enemy attack since it was impossible for any of them to fall asleep on guard duty. :)) They were kept on drug therapy to make up for the lack of REM sleep/dreams. But something went hideously wrong and they all suffered a psychotic break and masscred an entire village before they were recalled to the states. Scully and Mulder get involved when they investigate the death of a government scientist who is studying sleep disorders - and who decades before had run the military program the produced the sleepless soldiers.

Really creepy and effective episode. Tony Todd (Candyman among other films) was the main guest star and turned in a terrific performance, as usual.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks