Printing a screen capture from a DVD?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Peter McM, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    I'm wanting to print a few screeen shots of a DVD. I run Windows XP on my computer and Cyberlink Power DVD as my system's player. Any help?

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Turn off hardware acceleration of video and you should be able to do a screenshot using normal means (printscreen and then copy/paste into Paint or some other photo application) or slightly more advanced means like the program Hypersnap DX.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenshot

3. Peter McM

Peter
    Thanks, Kimmo; how do I accomplish this hardware acceleration process? (Can you tell I'm not really computer literate?)

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

With PowerDVD, you can do a screen shot directly to a file. The default key is C, as I recall. Press that while the video is playing and it puts a numbered snapshot in a directory somewhere (check My DocumentsMy Pictures or the PowerDVD directory under Program FilesCyberlink).

If that doesn't work, to turn off hardware acceleration, right-click the image window. In the context menu, choose Configuration. Go to the Video page. The checkbox is there, or under the Advanced dialog; it may vary depending on which version you have.

5. Peter McM

Peter
    Thanks, Ken. Apparently, according to the link Kimmo provided, PowerDVD won't save screenshots, and will ignore its hardware setting.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If you go right-click the desktop background, select properties, click on the settings tab to the right and click on the advanced settings button you should be able to find hardware acceleration settings for the graphics card so you can temporarily disable it.

7. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I'm using PowerDVD XP 4.0, and it does provide the ability to print to a file. Go into Configuration (cntl-C), the General tab, Advanced button, and then the Capture tab. It provides 4 options: capture to clipboard, capture as walpaper (centered, tiled), and capture to file (and allows you to choose a pathname to a .bmp type file).

8. Peter McM

Peter
    Thanks, Anderson. I found no Advanced button in Configuration anywhere, nor have I found anything else leading me to a 'capture' tab. I'm completely stymied.

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

What that means is that the screenshot by pressing Print Screen won't work because the DVD player programs display on the "overlay" and not the "screen". But PowerDVD does provide a frame capture feature, like Al describes -- at least some versions do. If your PowerDVD came bundled with the computer, it doesn't have it. You can upgrade to a full version.