Printer stopped working

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThomasC, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I just tried to print something, but nothing happened. I reconnected the power and USB cords, but still no luck. Could it be the USB cord? I printed something last week and it was fine. I have a Canon BJC-2100, bought it in summer of 2001, no problems up until now.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    check the print manager, see if it says 'pause printing' under one of the menus, that could be it.

CJ

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

That's not it.

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Thomas,

Multiple items here to check..

1. Is the Cannon set to default printer?

2. The software application you are using to print, is it set to your specific printer?

3. Are there other printers in the operating system that need to be deleted that may confuse the OS?

4. Have you tried to print a test sheet?

5. I am not familar with the Cannon series, but does it have some type of safe guard if the cartridge is empty, it will not print?

6. Is the lid closed on the printer?

7. Have another USB cable to connect? They are cheap.

8. Try deleting the printer, reinstall the software and then reconnect the USB cable?

9. Paper in the tray pushed in all the way?

Some of these may be very elementary troubleshooting attempts, but I have no clue what you've done up to this point in time.

I had a situation last weekend where someone had like 4 different printers in their system and could not get their current printer to work. I just went in and deleted all of them, did a reinstall of software, connected the usb cable and all was well.

Good luck,
    Charles

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. No.
    4. Yes.
    5. I just replaced it with a new cartridge last week. It isn't able to detect whether or not the cartridge is empty.
    6. Yes.
    7. Nope, I'll try and get another one soon.
    8. Yes.
    9. Yes.

I think it's the USB cable then. Is it common for them to fail after a couple of years?