Printer for pictures

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jassen M. West, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

What would be a good printer for pictures from a digital camera? Probably $400 or less.

thanks
    jay

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Epson have such a broad range of inkjet models that it's hard to recommend one in particular. It really depends how far you want to go. The models with a five-pot colour cartridge have a definite edge in terms of colour reproduction. The cheaper models have three-pot colour cartridges (plus an additional one for black). I myself use the Stylus Photo 890 and it's output quality is superb for photos. I do a lot of work with hires scans (2400dpi scanned directly from the negatives), printed at full A4. The nice thing about the 890 is that it can produce borderless prints. You can get much cheaper models though. Don't worry too much about the DPI numbers quoted. They're usually pretty meaningless. The best thing to is to find a model in your price range and a do a Google search for it. You can usually find a good range of reviews.
    Hewlett Packard have a terrific reputation for colour printers, but I think the general concensus is still that Epson has the slightly better quality. HP cartridges are also more expensive (mainly because they include the print heads, a big factor in why HPs usually last longer!). That said, all (original) inkjet cartridges are stupidly expensive. The companies make barely any money on the printers themselves, but they sure as hell make it up on the consumables!
    I currently have my eye on the new Epson 2100, a seven cartridge A3 model. [​IMG]
    I've not had any experience with other manufacturers, but I've heard good things about some of the Canon models.
    And the most important element of inkjet printing - is the paper. Be prepared to spend on good quality photo paper. I use a few of Epson's range and the result are always terrific.

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I would recommend trying out Shutterfly. We've been using them since buying a new printer and not getting the results we want. The cost ends up being cheaper in the long run, the pictures look better and the photo paper they use ensures a long life.

4. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Check out the reviews for the Canon i850, I have been looking around and this one has been getting great reviews. Although it only uses 4 ink cartridges (Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) it prints fantastics pictures. This one is sort of a replacement for the Canon S820 which has the two extra Colors (Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta), but does print better pictures becuase of smaller ink drops (or something like that). My understanding is that as long as you use the Photo Black, Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta instead of that standard ink cartridges, you get the same result as the Photo Printers that can hold all 6 ink cartridges. This printer is also very fast, up to 22ppm text and will do a borderless 4x6 Photo in about 45seconds. I saw it print out a test page with color pictures mixed with text and it took about 5 seconds and it very quiet.

Right now this is tops on my list and there is a $30 mail-in-rebate that is good through 12-31-2002, Best Buy sells it for $199, so you can get it a little cheaper online. Check this one out.

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I second this. I bought a digital camera and a new printer (an HP). The printer is great, and the pictures are better than I had dared hope for. However...

...once you buy the outrageously priced paper and ink, it is cheaper to have them printed by a company such as Shutterfly.com or Snapfish.com (there are others). Also, the image will last much longer, so they say.

Jon

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I'll second the Canon S900 --- it's really a fantastic photo printer and a steal at $250. Canon printers are aslo much more economical to operate than most other brands.

That said, I'll be buying the new Canon 850 next month. It's about $169 after rebate. I need a good all-around printer, and it's really good with photos, but better at text than the 900.

8. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Ken, the rebate for the Canon i850 is good through the end of this month, so you might not want to wait until January to buy. I just got mine last week and the photo pictures are very nice. I bought a 50 pack of 4x6 Canon Glossy Photo Plus (about $9 at Best Buy) and the pictures look great. I will be testing that paper vs the Canon Photo Pro (supposedly Canons best paper) by printing the same image on both to see how much difference there really is. So far, the Plus paper looks fine, and with the Pro paper costing about $13 for 20 4x6, the Plus may be the way to go.

As far as ink, Best Buy want $11 bucks for each tank, but I have seen internet store (several, not just one) that sell each tank for between $5-$6, so I am sure that the Glossy Plus can be had for maybe $6 for a 50 pack. That would make printing pictures much cheaper.

Also, FYI, you CAN NOT use the Photo ink cartridges with the Canon i850. Best Buy told me that they would create better prints over the included ink cartridges, but the colors were horrible. The couple test pictures I printed were all green, I talked to Canon and they verified that the Photo ink cartridges are not to be used with the i850, that standard cartridges work great though. Put those back in the printer and cleaned the print head and everything wa back to normal. So I now need to return the Photo ink cartridges and get another set of the standard ones.

9. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

10. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Cool, maybe I read that wrong or something. I need to go get my BTTF set now.

11. JasonMC

JasonMC Stunt Coordinator

I was given the Canon i850S. Does anybody know the differences between it and the i850?
    Thanks

12. JasonMC

JasonMC Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I purchased the i850s and using the Canon photo paper that came with it, I couldn't tell the difference between professional developing and the printer. I then used some Kodak photo paper and the picture quality is not nearly as good as the canon paper.
    Should there be such a vast difference in the papers?

13. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

There will be quite a difference. You can try three different type of paper from the same manufacturer and get very different results. When you try another brand, the rules change again. After trying most of them, I stick with Epson's paper. But then again, I've always used Epson printers.