What's new

Printer doesn't work under Windows XP...what to do? (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hello,

Well, I tried installing my printer under Windows XP on my new computer, but it doesn't work.

I went to Canon's site and it appears that my printer (5100) is one of the only printers they make to not have XP support.

So, what should I do? Just go out and buy a new printer? I really need to be able to print stuff, as does my mom for her home business.

Thanks.

JasonD

Agent
Did you try emailing the manufacturer to see if/when a driver will come out? It's strange that they haven't released one yet. I have a Lexmark All-In-One X83 Printer and I had to wait about a week. I think the closest thing you can come up with for now, is to see if you can run the printer program in a previous operating system environment. Try looking up "running programs" in XP's help section. It should provide a link to allow you to run certain software applications under Windows 98 or Pro 2000. But if it is a driver issue, you may be stuck for now. Good luck.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Andy

I would try re-installing the latest 98 drivers for your printer until an XP driver is available. XP installation is somewhat buggy when it comes to drivers.

I wish you the best of luck, I know all about driver problems and it can REALLY suck.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I have the same kinda problem with my scanner. And the manufacturer, PLustek, says that my model will NOT be XP compatible.

Any ideas??

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
On Canon's site they give a specific message saying that there is no XP support for that model printer. Which makes me think that there isn't going to be one. Why would there be support for models before/after my printer but not this one? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm kind of reluctant to install drivers from another OS (Win98/2000)... I'm sort of afraid that it might bring the whole OS down.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
If you have trouble with the drivers after the install, in XP there is a driver rollback function that will let you use previous version(s)of the driver.

This may sound stupid, but have you deleted the printer in the device manager and tried to let Windows find a driver for it? It might find a generic driver that could work.

...just a thought

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
if there is a Win2000 driver available for your printer, then try using that. It can't cause any harm that can't be undone easily enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks