1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Printer connection: USB vs parallel

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm going to purchase a new printer within a week or so. I notice that the newer printers offer the ability to connect with USB or parallel connections.

Between my scanner, mouse, and digital camera, I'm fresh out of USB ports.

Is there a disadvantage of connecting via the parallel connection?

Is there an easy way to add another USB (such as a 2-into-1 adapter)?

Thanks!

Jon

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Functionally you are not going really see much of a difference between the two connections. Yes USB is faster but in day-to-day printing you'll probably not notice any difference.

You can also use a USB hub to add more USB connections if you really want to go USB to the printer.

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, Patrick...

Does a USB hub plug directly into an existing USP port?

Jon

4. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Yes the hub can be plugged into any of your computer's USB ports or into another USB hub.

Some one will have to correct me because I'm not certain of the number but I think you can have over 250 USB devices plugged into one computer. That of course means you would have to daisy chain hubs together in order to have that many USB ports available.

Back to the topic, the hubs are very easy to use you'll have no problems what so every.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Like Patrick said, I don't think you'd see any difference between using a parallel port and a USB for a printer. The one caveat is: USB printers "talk" back to the computer updating the ink levels. I don't know if using the parallel port provdes the same functionality.

Also as said, you can get a USB hub to expand your available connections. They plug into a USB port and provide at least four ports (for a +3 gain). I've got a cheap one -- got it when I bought my Sony Clie since I'd run out of ports -- and it works fine.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I suppose the adaptors for connecting a parallel device to a USB port don't make any functional difference as having a true USB device via a USB port would, correct?

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

It's probably just a coicidence but my USB printer seems to work much better than my older parallel printer...

8. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I believe you are limited to using only 127 USB devices at any given time. [​IMG]

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i can't remember exactly why...but aren't usb hubs a better choice for multiple usb connections?

something about power consumption via the plug vs having an external power supply for the hub???

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer