Printer advise needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Stuckey, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Hi Friends,
    I have a HP Deskjet 932c ,and I'm thinking of getting a better printer.The HP is only so so on picture qlty and it sucks up ink like you wont believe. Here's my qestion.
    What should I look for in a printer that I want to use manly for printing pictures( jpg )and some text?
    After doing a surch in the fourm, one guy said the Cannon 800 was a great one for under $300 , wich is my price range. What do you think?

2. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Check out all of the new Lexmark offerings. IMHO HP and

Cannon are overpriced and living on a name. Do you get a better

product with that name?

Lexmark offers the highest resolutions on the planet. Thier

new printers do a bare minimum of 1200x1200 DPI and most do

2400x2400 DPI (published magazines are only 300 DPI for

example)

As for being Ink Hogs... Unfortunatly they all are... I do

not know of one Ink Jet that is not an ink hog when printing

full page color graphics.

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Check out Epson printers. I own the Stylus Color 880 and it f-ing rocks with photos, especially when using photo ink jet paper. Best part about the printer, I only paid $90 for it last year.

4. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

After buying a digital camera last November I looked into purchasing a great photo printer. After much research I too wanted to get the Canon S800 printer. The problem was they were no longer available. Canon was going to release a new model the S820 It's the same printer with the same price tag of $299. They have just started shipping these so we should see them in retail stores soon.

5. Alan Curry

Alan Curry Agent

I prefer Epson. I currently have the Epson Stylus Photo 890 and the Epson Stylus Color 600. I have never had any problems with them. Also the 890 is $299.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've got an Epson 900 and am pleased with it. A friend had one of the Epson Photo Printers and reported excellent photo quality.

HP has an excellent reputation, and I believe are still making quality products. I don't think you can go wrong with an HP printer.

Pick up a PC magazine and check out their printer reviews. they usually comment on both text quality and picture quality. That might help find what you need.

7. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Lexmark cartridges tend to be very expensive.

8. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

I'm also a happy Epson user (Photo Stylus 870).
    The two main reasons I bought it:
    1) Excellent photo printing. On glossy paper pictures look amazing.
    2) Fairly inexpensive ink cartridges. Unlike other printers where the printer is cheap but the cartridges are ridiculous, the Epson refills aren't too unreasonable. And yes I only use genuine Epson refills.
    Here is a great resource for ink cartridges and paper Atlex. They sell not only Epson but Lexmark, HP, Canon and others. Very good service and unbeatable prices. The best prices I've seen.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Note that all the HP 9xx and Photosmart printer use the same cartridge, so they will all use the same amount of ink, and have the same print quality. The only differences from one to the next are speed and bells/whistles.
    I think HP reliability can't be beat, but for lots of picture printing, Epson is probably the way to go.
    Tom's Hardware had a rundown of ink-jets not too long ago. Check that out.
    Todd