What's new

Princess Mononoke-How is the sound and picture? (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The picture is excellect. Crisp images and vibrant colors, it isn't on par with Disney's digital transfers (there are a few scratches on the print) but still very good.

The audio is fine as well. Deep bass with the gunshots, and the tree spirits scene is truly enveloping. When they rattle their heads, you can hear from all 5 speakers.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
the audio and video are top notch... abeit the DVD is barebones
...in Japan, there is a 6 VHS set of 'Mononoke'... now when is Disney gonna release THAT on DVD over here ;)

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
The R2 DVD of PM (or MH if you are in Japan) consist of two volumes, each containing 3 DVD discs. The first volume is the movie (disc 1) movie, disc 2) movie w/ storyboards, disc 3) international dubbed versions of movie). The second volume is the documentary which also contains 3 discs. At 4800 yen per volume, that's pretty cheap, if you ask me.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, no. Only the 3rd disc which contains 20 minutes of coverage of PM in America has hard-subs on it. Otherwise, the rest of the documentary is in raw Japanese. However, I think there will be translation groups who will most likely translate the documentary and then a script can be employed, and you can use DVDSubber program which can overlay subtitles on the fly. (That is if you have a DVD-ROM).

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I own it and enjoy the great sound and deeply colorful picture. But that's me.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It's a tragedy that Disney was going to release this as a dub-only, but we got lucky… As the disc stands, it's great. Not heavy on supplements, and the few supplements they DO have are all geared towards the dub :frowning: , but the disc has it where it counts. Picture and sound are first rate.
Best of all, it includes all of the titles and credits in their original Japanese. This, of course, should be the norm for foreign films, but that's sadly not the case with most anime releases.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Matthew,

Have you actually seen the movie? While DVD extras are lacking and the sound and picture being awesome: The story is moving and completely awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks