What's new

Princess Mononoke Blu-Ray "dubtitl"e screwup... (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Lord Dalek said:
Spirited Away WAS supposed to come out this month, it might be this subtitle issue that delayed it.
Instead, we're getting a slightly delayed Tales of Earthsea in February, a post-'04 Ghibli which presumably had all its translation rights hammered out from the beginning.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Lord Dalek said:
They're all fine save for Laputa (which had awful subs the first go around), Kiki's (which was technically always dubtitled), and Mononoke (either due to Toho which I don't think gets a say in the matter as much as Tokuma Shoten/BVS Japan or Miramax). Ponyo has a lossy Japanese track due to either compression issues or a simple oversight.

Spirited Away WAS supposed to come out this month, it might be this subtitle issue that delayed it.
Also, Nausicaa has the English dub credits burned-in at the end, but that's a minor annoyance compared to incorrect subtitles.

Also, Kiki has indeed technically always been dubtitled, but now it's dubtitled in a new way :)

I emailed Disney about Mononoke and Kiki, and mentioned Castle in the Sky; I guess we'll see if there's a response.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Bryan Tuck said:
Also, Nausicaa has the English dub credits burned-in at the end, but that's a minor annoyance compared to incorrect subtitles.
Yeah its like that on the old dvd too (aside from plastering over the World Wildlife Federation logo at the start). Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks