What's new

Princess Bride Criterion LD (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I've just looked at the Criterion website to see if the Princess Bride LD from their collection came in CAV or CLV format or both, and see there actually three versions. There is #40 (CAV) and #40A (CLV), both listed as "The Princess Bride". Then there is #320 (CAV) listed as "Princess Bride" (no "The"). What are the differences between 40 and 320?

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly the #320 CAV a commentary, stills, and trailers, that's the newer SE that came out in 1997. There is no difference between the #40's except for the speed. There was also a version released by Nelson Home Video. Of the FOUR LD's The best one is the 1997 Criterion SE.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I'm sure the #40s are the same except for the disc format (CAV vs. CLV), but what's the difference between 40 and 320? The 320 is better, is that what you're saying?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The 40 is featureless. The 320 has audio commentary by Reiner, Goldman, Andrew Scheinman, Billy Crystal and Peter Falk; a second commentary track with Rob Reiner reading excerpts fromt the novel; behind-the-scenes footage; Reiner's production scrapbook; design sketches; and some other items I can't recall in detail (but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a trailer).

I haven't compared this to the MGM DVD; so I don't know whether any or all of this material appeared there.

M.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
One thing I know for sure is that the MGM has neither of the two commentaries from the Criterion 320. An interesting fact about the Criterion 40 is that it is full-frame, making it one of the relatively few Criterion titles to be presented at something other than the theatrical AR. (The 320 was widescreen.)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about some copies of 40, but both my 40 and 40A are definately widescreen and are listed as OAR though it looks to be only 1.68.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
The 320 is the better one. I'm not exactly sure if there are trailers in it, but there was a lot of stuff (for the time). I haven't watched my LD of it in a long time. I remember paying the full $99 for it when it was released. I can't seem to find it right now for all of the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks