What's new

Princess and The Pirate Problem (1 Viewer)

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
There were several scenes in this DVD where it seemed the image quality of this disc degraded heinously. Most notably the end of the first Featherhead/Sylvester scene in Featherheads cabin. Again when they reach the port after escaping from the ship. Overall, the PQ was highly inconsistant. Did anyone else notice this?

Terry H

Second Unit
When I read your post I decided to pop this in and check. Yes, there are several scenes that look like crap. The one in Featherhead's cabin in particular looked like I should be using 3D glasses. Terrible. I'm very disappointed.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Me too. My VHS doesn't really look like this. Is it a mastering problem? Can we expect a replacement? Should we be concerned about a $9 disc?

Scott Hassel

Auditioning
CaseyL, did you ever get a response or update on the disposition of the Princess and the Pirate? I just recieved a copy and was mortified at the quality.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Believe it or not, it looks MUCH better than either the previous DVD or the laserdisc. I'm happy with it!

Scott Hassel

Auditioning
I have to disagree. Even though the LD is grainy, the picture quality is consistent. This allows me to get comfortable with the picture quality and just enjoy the movie. The abrupt change in quality on the DVD really jolts me out of the story and ruins my enjoyment of the movie.

BTW, I have talked with MGM and they (at least the one rep I talked with) have not heard about this problem. I suggest that everyone give MGM a call at 1-877-mgm-4you and or email them (they have an email form on their website http://www.mgm.com/dvd_faqs.do ). They stated that they would verify the problem and then let me know whether this will be something they feel is worth repressing for.

Scott Hassel

Auditioning

Regardless, they should never have let the DVD through quality control with such an inconsistent/poor picture. The problems that are on the DVD are not only correctable, but shouldn't have been there in the first place. The LD does not exhibit the same problem and therefore the problem is not inherent to the masters that MGM owns. As the problem was definately generated during the transfer process, they should have caught the problem and gone back and fixed the transfer before releasing it.

Scott Hassel

Auditioning
Well, MGM customer service has requested a copy be sent from their warehouse to them for purposes of verifying the problem. They stated that they should be able to verify the problem by sometime next week.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Thanks Scott for keeping us updated. Please let us know what they tell you. I canceled plans to buy this after reading about the problems. Hope deserves better.

Steve

Scott Hassel

Auditioning
Everyone, I have been trying to keep on top of this, however things seem to be going downhill. The CS people at MGM now know me be name, and I'm getting the feeling that they feel that there is not enough interest to validate correction of the problem. Every time I call now they tell me that they don't know what the current status is, but if I give them my name and phone number, they will call me back....I've never heard back from any of them at this point.

If some of you could call the 877-mgm-4you number and ask for a status, I believe we could force them to acknowledge the problem and move forward.

Thanks

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Over at the DVD Talk forum, this is the reply one customer got from MGM:

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry about our title, 'The Princess and the Pirate.'

At this time MGM does not plan on remastering this DVD, as the visual issues lie in the original aging film and not in the DVD itself. We appreciate your comments and have forwarded them to the appropriate department.

Sincerely,

MGM Home Entertainment
Customer Service Department"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks