What's new

Prince - Planet Earth (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/prince/prince4.html

Very interesting indeed.

Prince has imo always been a maverick performer starting when he fought WB re his name etc.

Along with David Bowie, I really believe he knew what the internet potential would be and has done really well.

Here are some other articles relating to his promotion of giving away his latest album via a national newspapers.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I like the fact that the record industry is freaking out about the giveaway...They are really reaching for straws when they say "what about the loyalty to all the record stores that carried his music for years?" I damn near spit out my milk when I read that. When will they realize that they no longer wield the power they did back in the 80s?

Good for Prince...He is truly an amazing musician and I hope there is a tour to support this album...I also wish I could get it for free as well, just so I could listen to it now.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Hi Dan

Please PM me and I'll see what I can do 4 U.

He's performing a mininum of 15 concerts in London throughout August & September.

Tickets are priced at 31.21 pounds!

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
I've been a Prince fan since the 80's and have been lucky enough to see him preform when he came to Tampa a few years ago on his Musicology tour. I think he's an amazing musician and respect the way he "does his own thing'. He has the means, and the balls, to distribute his art the way he pleases and that has to be admired.

Nice touch. :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Yeah, you gotta love that "it's an insult" line to all the record stores who have "supported" him thru the years.

One of them should have at least had the guts to drop all that self righteous nonsense and just say "damnit, we're going to lose money".

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Oh yes. The reaction is a laff riot! :D

The traditional business of the record companies is nearly worthless in 2007. They need to quit whining and evolve to provide new value, like any other outmoded business.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I saw him this past weekend and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. It was so great getting to see both Wendy and Sheila E

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
lol, where have you been? His last album, 3121, was his first #1 album since 1989.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I love the record stores getting upset over this- certainly if Prince creates an album and wants to give it away, that's his option.

He doesn't have to record at all, so what's the difference as far as the stores' chance to make a profit? Plus, how much are stores still making on his previous albums?

I don't think he's successful because of support from stores, but because people like his stuff. The store was just where you had to go to buy the music in the past.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am pretty pleased that I got the album, several times over

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Dave>h

Second Unit
It is all well and good to give an album away but is it any good?

I have been a Prince fan for 2+ decades now, have seen him several times and am an ardent admirer of his talent and musical ability but the guy has produced some dogs in his day.

My name is Prince anyone? or Lovesexy? How about Around the world in a day? there are quite a few from his symbol days that are absolute crap (probably because of the dispute with Warners).

Most of the recent stuff is pretty good although I liked Musicology better than 3121 but that is personal preference more than musical criticism.

So is Planet Earth any good? Would love to know.

Dave

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

people only dislike Lovesexy because it was a sales flop. I think it's generally been agreed upon in recent years that it's part of his canon of 1980's masterpieces. Same with Around The World In A Day, disliked because it followed up Purple Rain, but on it's own merits, a hell of an album.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Still a free country and I am entitled to my opinion - Around the world in a day is not one of my favorites. I like Raspberry Beret and maybe one or two more and that is about it. Pop life was decent.

I agree that it was a very experimental album but being experimental don't make it good.

Lovesexy - admittedly I have not listened to it in years but I recall the CD was just one big song, no breaks so you had to listen to it all or fast forward to the song you liked and my 1985 cd player didn't have fast forward, just skip so I had to sit through the whole thing to get to some of the stuff I liked. I even went to see the Lovesexy tour (and enjoyed it). But I do not recall liking a lot of the ablum. I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I notice that nobody is defending "my name is Prince", not very surprising.

HOwever, my question was is Planet Earth any good not whether Prince has produced some dogs...

Thanks

DAve

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Prince is absolutely one of the best artists of the last three decades and I don't like some of his stuff and just love a lot of it. He can release nothing but dogs and he is still going down as one of the greatest popular musicians ever. Why he is recording an album and giving it away isn't clear, but the guy is really strange, maybe all geniuses are?

Chris

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Okay, so I'll defend it. "0+>" - the album that includes the song "My Name Is Prince" - is a strong piece of work. In fact, I'd argue it's Prince's last GOOD album. He's been up and down since but hasn't produced one album that's consistently pretty positive from start to finish. I think this one's a quality album...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I hope that one of these days when Prince's stuff gets remastered, that they fix this with Lovesexy. I used a CD ripper and separated the tracks myself, makes it so much easier instead of having to sift through 30 mins to get to I Wish U Heaven or go through stuff to get to Anna Stesia.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

If Prince controls the remasters, why would it be "fixed"? It was his decision, not a mistake. Maybe he'll change his mind and think it was a silly choice, but it's not like it was an accident...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
there are foreign editions of the album that are tracked, and they always do well on ebay, so apparently there is definately an audience out there for people who want Lovesexy, but not as one continuous track

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks