Prince of Persia - HELP

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by John Doran, Dec 14, 2003.

1. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

ok. i'm at the part at the beginning of POP where you meet up with farah in the main hall of the palace and fight some guards and the prince's father....

what the f@#k???? i've been doing this same fight over and over and over again for close to an hour-and-a-half and i'm about to put my foot through the TV and throw the xbox out the f#*kin' window. i can't believe how many reviewers said (complained) that combat was easy in this game - i must be an absolute clown, 'cos i simply cannot get past this fight.

i always end up getting surrounded, and it's impossible to get extra life from the water in the pool, since the moment i take a drink all the zombies teleport over there and jam their spears up my ass.

does anyone have any suggestions here? i'm on the verge of losing my mind...

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

John: First things first, GameFAQs. Learn to love it and visit it often, much like grandparents. It's a rare game that doesn't have a FAQ and/or codes within hours of it landing in someone's greedy little paws. It's pretty much the go-to place for anyone who's stuck or wants to see what they've missed. I know at least one of the PoP FAQs explains this fight twice. Pay particular attention to the sections on combat (before the walkthrough), especially if you didn't read the informative manual.

Okay. I know one of those FAQs probably gives you the low-down, but here's my strategy anyway. The guys in red are easy. Do the somersault attack+sand drain combo on those guys. Unfortunately you can not do a somersault attack on guys in blue. With them, just use the sand freeze attack, knock them into the air, and drain their sand when they land back on the ground. PoP's awesome multi-enemy combat system should make that easier, i.e. freeze and knock into the air one guy, then another, and maybe even a third before the first guy hits ground, and when he does, drain his sand. Repeat as necessary. With Big Daddy, either block and dodge and attack when he's vulnerable, or somersault attack.

3. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

Don't let the creeps surround you. Avoid the Big Creep and kill all the smaller ones first and make sure to suck up their sands. Use block more often and after they are all killed, go after the Big Creep. He should be easy to kill once he's all alone by himself. Use the dagger to go back in time if you get killed.

4. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

thanks for the help, guys.

i actually went to gamefaqs.com to see what i could learn, and then tried it again for a while, unsucessfully, before i posted here.

the main problem for me is that i can't consistently separate the guys form each other for the entire duration of the fight; eventually i'll be attacking one guy and another will hit me from behind, and then they all just pound the crap out of me.

or, i'll be doing a fair job of attacking and blocking and moving, and the princess will get killed....

sigh.

i'll take another kick at the can tonight.

thanks again.

- jd

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Is this the fight where he runs down the wall in the cut scene before it? I had a real hard time with that one too. Here's what I did, it may or may not work for you. I found that if you put your sword away and run around (it lets you run faster if your sword is sheathed), then usually only one of the guys will teleport and end up in front of you. So just keep running, you'll see one guy appear, take your sword out and kill him. By the time you do that the others will be there, so somersault out of the way, put your sword away, and start running again. This sounds silly, and looks even sillier, but it works [​IMG]

Just keep an ear open for Farah, if she starts saying "Help me" or something like that, it means one guy is focussing on her. Since she can't kill anyone, you'll haqve to go over and take care of the guy who's attacking her, or she'll die.

And if you get cornered by a bunch of guys, use the wall-bounce thing (or whatever it's called). And like Jesse said, use the vault move on the red guys, they're pretty easy to take out using that move. Don't try it on any of the blue guys.

6. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

sweet. i think i'll give that a try; i've already been running around like mad trying to get away from the zombies so i could get a drink of water, and now that you mention it, i recall that the zombies do teleport over to you in fairly big gaps.....

thanks for the heads-up.

7. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

My wife played through part of the game, before giving up on it because it was "too hard". She especially hated a particular fight on the top of a drawbridge, IIRC.

8. Tom Fudold

Tom Fudold Stunt Coordinator

I understand your frustration, but if that has you down, oh man, just wait till the last couple hours of the game. You'll encounter some fights that will drive you nuts.

Here's what I try and do. Use the walls! Use the walls a lot. Some guys won't let you hit the A button and jump behind them, but the wall jump will get you behind them and then you'll kill em' easy. ALWAYS use the Sand knife when a guy, or gal, is down. I only was attacked about one out of 50 times when I was sucking sand from someone.

Also, learn to block, that will save you no matter what, no one could break the block, then counter attack. Try and get to the pool as well, drink some water. One more thing, don't forget the Y button, you can attack with the Sand Dagger, and that will freeze the guy for 10 seconds, you can then work on the others while he is frozen, that will help a bit as well.

Good luck and stick with it,the ending is great, very well worth the 10 hours, perfect length for me. I loved the whole game.

Tom

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

11. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Yep, those fights at the end are brutal. Especially if your day job involves working on a computer all day long, and you're starting to get the first sings of carpal tunnel. I had to let my wife play some of the fights at the end. She's much better at fight games than me, and my hands just hurt too much. That worked out pretty well - I'd do the traps and puzzles, and she'd do the fighting [​IMG]

12. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

The point of combat in PoP:SoT is to be 'light as a feather'.

That means you have to stick and move. You rarely get to finish a kill or ride first strike down on a target until it is dead. Instead, you have to continuously be in motion, be moving away from threatening positions. Use your wall-rebound attacks and jump attacks (flipping over targets) to maintain mobility. Use light jabbing type attacks that don’t tie you down into an attack string that fixes you in place.

When in doubt, use the Sands to rewind a poor last-seven-seconds or so. Don’t forget you can use the dagger to slow enemies down, giving you time to deal with others. Also use the time while enemies are on their knees to attack others. When the area around you is clear, start sucking bad guys up into the dagger.

The combat is extremely simple, with only a few fights at the very end getting difficult. And those are so only because of the lack of camera controls in the game.

13. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

well, i can only conclude that i am just an utterly incompetent gamer, 'cos no matter what i do, i get killed. again. and again. and again.

i use the walls. i use the sands of time to slow everything down. i run and try to separate the zombies so i can deal with them one at a time. every time i try and get water to replenish my life, i get swarmed and killed. i would say that at least half of the time i'm finishing a zombie with the dagger, another zombie hits me and interrupts the process, even when it seems that it's too far away to connect....

i have never been so frustrated with a game in my entire life. ever. and what's most frustrating is that there's not even slight progress from attempt to attempt, you know? i'm totally stuck.

if the battles just get harder at the end, then perhaps it's best that i just walk away now; i'd hate to have invested the 20+ hours to get to the end (i've already been at this one point for about 2 hours, and it's only about 15% of the way through the game...), only to be stumped, you know?

thanks for taking the time to chime in, guys. i guess i'm beyond help.

[​IMG]

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

John,

How are you fighting the multiple enemies? See the best part aobut POP's combat system is the ability to attack multiple enemies in each direction just by pointing towards the enemy. You can swipe the enemy on the left, back kick the enemy behind and spin swipe the enemy to the right allowing you to aviod being blindsided.

Also I found that hitting the Y button and using the dagger only uses the dagger's power to "freeze" the enemy or suspend them midair. The most eefective thing to do then is to use the run up and jump over them move to slice them in half for the kill. Quick two hit kill and it keeps you movine.

Dont give up! Its too good a game to not continue.

15. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

ok. i did it. don't really know how. but i did it. (i think that the zombies kept hitting each other a lot, which allowed me to walk over and drain them with the dagger without having even had to fight them myself...)

you know, i found that fight totally unlike the others thus far - for instance, the fight immediately after the sand-king, in the courtyard outside (that i just completed) was incredibly fast-paced, fluid, cinematic...and fun; i was dinging enemies on every side of me, vaulting one, freezing another, draining one zombie, slashing another to keep it at bay, finishing the one frozen in md-air, and then dispersing the last one off before i spun around to deal with the 4 new sand-zombies shambling at me from every side...

i'm not sure if i was doing something different, or if the game was doing something different....

anyway. you're right, romier - the game is too good to give up.

thanks for the encouragement.

- jd

16. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Woohoo! Congratulations! [​IMG] Now hurry up and get to the *really* frustrating fights [​IMG]

I think luck played a role in many of my fights too. I'd keep dying and dying, and then one time I'd just be in the right place at the right time a few times in a row, and bam, you've killed them all and it looked so easy too.

17. Markus Lidstrom

Markus Lidstrom Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, that fight destroyed me too. Strangely I didnt have too much trouble with all the others.

And dont give up, it's too good.

18. Dave.A.C

Dave.A.C Agent

The one thing I figured out that made this fight - and all others - easier for me was the wall attack. Not wall jump, but attack. Any enemy that doesn't let you jump over them can be handled really easily by backing to a wall then hit A+X. One hit knock down then dagger. You'll actually figure out an easy attack for every enemy. The ones I recall:

-Red guy, chick with two daggers, and freak with ball and chain; A,X,X,Y

-Most large enemies that won't let you jump over them; in open spaces first strike with Y to freeze as many as needed, then come back and kill. Against a wall just X+A, tehn Y to drain the sand.

-Little guy with hammer (maybe some others as well, I don't recall) A,X,Y. Jump over, one swipe with your sword, then dagger to the back while he's still standing. This was the best way to not only eliminate an enemy quickly, but refill the dagger.