Prince of Egypt--both DD and DTS on same disc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Aug 9, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Can anyone verify as to whether or not there is a DVD version of "The Prince of Egypt" that contains both DD and DTS soundtracks? The reason I ask is that if you go to Tower Records' website and do a search for "Prince of Egypt", one of the listings shows a graphic on the front of the DVD covercase that says Dolby Digital and DTS-ES (at least that's what the DTS logo appears to be--the graphic is somewhat blurry). FWIW--I own the DD-only version and have seen the DTS-only one in stores, but I have not found or seen one that has both. According to the covercase screenshot at towerrecords.com it appears to exist; if it doesn't, then where did the screenshot come from?
    Thanks!

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    To my knowledge they don't make it but I haven't seen many DTS versions. I have looked everywhere. What stores have you seen them in? Any around the bay area? I've been looking for this disc in DTS forever. Anyone have an extra?

3. Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang Extra

I bought the DTS version of this disc when it came out in November 2000. As far as I know both the DD and the DTS versions are identical, apart from the audio tracks off course. As far as the disc goes it have the normal DD 2.0 track besides the DTS track that even seems to be 1536 kbps (according to PowerDVD). Hope that helped.

4. TonyTone

Jeff--up here in Sacramento I found a few DTS copies at a Tower Records store; however, the price ($24.99, IIRC) scared me off; then again, Tower's DVD prices aren't exactly market-competitive. If only BB had a copy or two available, I would be buying that and Predator DTS with the $3 off BB coupon right now... :sigh:

5. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I have only seen two different versions of the Prince of Egypt.The DTS version does have a DD track but it's only 2.0 surround and not 5.1 track.

The cheapest way to get either version would be to start a Columbia House membership and make it an enrollment selection. It would only cost about $10 but you would have to find about 6 other DVDs to purchase to meet membership obligations.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have also never seen this mystery DVD. I used to have the DD version which I sold to get the dts version som time ago. It is dts5.1 and DD2.0

7. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

I own the DTS version which is completely identical to the DD version (except the audio). The DTS is full bitrate at 1509 kbps (also contains a DD 2.0 track at 192 kbps). The video is reference quality, haven't seen the DD version but I would guess they are the same. In any case, I didn't see any video artifacts or anything like that.

8. TonyTone

Just so there's no confusion as to exactly what I'm talking about--like I said in my initial post in this thread, if you go to towerrecords.com and do a DVD search for Prince of Egypt, you should get three matches. Notice the graphic at the top of the covercase for the second match--it shows both Dolby Digital and DTS (if anything, the DTS logo appears to show DTS-ES), implying that both audio tracks are available on this particular DVD. The DD in this case may very well be DD 2.0; however, I have yet to see such a copy with this particular graphic in any store, let alone one that is DTS-ES, if the graphic representation on this "mystery DVD" is correct.
    Now, if this particular version does indeed exist, I would gladly toss my DD-only copy for it...[​IMG]