What's new

Prince Of Darkness (1 Viewer)

DannyS

Second Unit
I have just watched the DVD for the first time. Just what the hell is going on in that movie? In the end....

SPOLIER..
The video footage mentions a "causality Violation" Now, Having studied time travel extensively, causality Violation is where I would try and shoot someone important.. and "causality" being what would happen is Violated therefore the world explodes....

help.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Chill Kevin, this is the 2nd thread I've seen where you bemoan where it should be!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Kevin's right. However:

A tip for everyone. Instead of posting in a misplaced thread about where it should be, email a moderator, or use the "report this post" button. It's a much better way to get a thread relocated to where it belongs.

M.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
No problem. Will do, Michael.
And Chill Jordan_E, many people post in the wrong areas and many Forum members other than I correct them in the spirit of lending a little advice to newer or unaware members, not in the spirit of bossing people around. Relax.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Danny, I never got over how much that scene frightened me. I never could think about anything other than its creepiness.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I saw this movie in the theater when it came out, and was totally unimpressed, except for some mildly creepy video sequences.

Lately though I've been seeing it mentioned all over since the DVD came out, and I'm wondering if I have to see it again...

Is it really that good of a movie? Am I remembering things wrong?

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
This movie really creeped me out. I credit Carpenter's direction and the music score for that!

*Spoilers* (obviously)

As for the causality reference, I believe they were referring to the fact that some of the future had been changed, but we are left to wonder whether it was changed for the better. In the original tachyon transmissions, someone from the future was trying to warn the science team that something was going to precipitate the coming of the prince of darkness, who was then going to bring satan himself into our reality. The team 'foiled' the event, but lost someone to the 'other side' (hell, we assume). But then the transmissions returned, and instead of an imposing dark figure, we see the female scientist...better causality (cause and effect) or worse? All I know is that it was eerie...

Very good movie, IMHO.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Creepy-ass movie. Something about the jumpy video picture being projected directly into your dreams ("We are broadcasting from the year one-nine-nine-nine") gives me the wiggins.

I think the only conclusion to draw from the movie is that either

a) Satan found another way into this universe

or

b) there was somthing left in the canister and someone else got to drink the yummy I Am Evil Incarnate drink and became the Prince of Darkness and opened another mirror and let Satan out/in.

Either way, I think we're supposed to think that Satan's using [hottie philosophy grad student]'s body to wander about (after all, she's much more tempting to mankind without all those claws and horns and pitchforks and stuff)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This masterpiece is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time, and is Carpenter's best film (tied with The Thing)! I absolutely LOVE it! The entire cast does a superb job, and Carpenter's excellent score adds a lot to the mood and atmosphere. I think its his greatest score to date!

I really love the very intelligent and and creepy as hell plot! Those homeless suckers are freaky bastards, and the possessed demon lady at the end is nasty with all that grotesque tissue. This film is easily one of the scariest films I've seen, and it is very underrated. The creepiest part for me is probably the part where Wyndham has come back and is saying hello in that very freaky voice and then he says the truly chilling "Pray for death."
Extremely unnerving, and this film is just so fantastic. I really can't praise this classic enough, and words cannot do justice how much I truly love it!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what I think of the causality either, but the film has always been in my top 5 scariest. It really gets to me for all of the reasons mentioned above and others.

One aspect is the bonding of religion, philosophy and science since, to me, this seems like the natural direction the scientific method is leading us if religion is to be maintained in such a structure. That makes the concepts and threats somehow seem more realistic for me.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
When this first came out, it scared the heck out of me. I saw it a few years ago, and while it didn't have the same impact, it was still rather spooky. I still consider it the scariest film I've ever seen in a theater. We saw it a few times at the theater, but the first showing was the best. There were several moments where everyone jumped and/or gasped, but the best was the very end of the movie when the guy goes to touch the mirror. Just as he puts his hand up, and the movie ends
the whole theater screamed. I forget if it was just one person who started it, or if it was a more spontaneous thing, but that's one of the very few times I've actually heard the entire theater scream at once.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i literally got chills on my cheeks just reading this thread and thinking about the movie. this movie is all about feel, substance, and style -- not stupid hack 'n' slay gore.

one of my all-time fave scary movies! :emoji_thumbsup:

btw - i saw this once in a .... um .... slightly altered state. boy, i won't do that again... :b

Tom Vet

Stunt Coordinator
I have it and is scary, but sometimes what you don't fully see can be even scarier, take the DVD disc "The Changeling" with George C. Scott and his real life wife Trish Van De Vere. when the inspecter dies in the unexplained car crash, seeing his eyes wide open, blood coming out, and a piece of the mirror is embeded in Scott's neck Yo creepy.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
All I can say is I watched it ONCE, when it came out. Never again!

I think it was 1990 before I could walk past a mirror without poking it and running... (I was early teens, then).

People now are always saying how lame it was. All I can say is I'm not watching that movie again, EVER, even to see if I was just being a wuss..

There were some spooky-ass scenes in that flick. Gives me the creeps just thinking about them.. Maybe it didn't have the highest production values, etc. But scare-factor wise, it delivered in spades!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks